Mottled experiment started

Hi all, since I had on hand some plain paraffin (and a little bag of stearic) I decided the time had come to try mottled candles.

I know a little stearic can help, but I wanted to start from the beginning, so I used just the plain paraffin and a 5% FO. A little cherry red from a dye block.

I took notes of everything.

While the pillar was cooling FO started to seep out, and it was also red, because of the dye, OMG so disgusting to see!!!!! Well, I thought, I will take it out of the mold and see what happened. I can melt it down and start to play with stearic. But the darn thing doesn't come out of the mold!!! I did it yesterday in the evenig, and let it cool overnight, but this morning I wasn't able to take it out! Why??? I thought that with all that FO seeping out it would have slipped out of the mold!! Help!!!

When I make mottled candles I always use the mottled wax. It is always hard to come out of the mold but if you put in freezer 5-10 minutes that will usually do it. This may sound crazy--but if it is still hard to come out, pull wick pin out - i use wick pins - and put your finger over the hole in the candle, and then blow from the bottom of mold. Something about the air seems to force it on out:laugh2:

byw - it will be weepy. Had one customer tell me she liked it when they were like that. I just wipe off and by the time I bag it, it has usually stopped. Label can be hard to stick on bottom but I use a stick-um on the tab part of wick and that works

You couldn't easily get it out of the mold, because of the seal that the FO creates with the mold. In a day or two you might get it to dislodge. You just need it to pop the suction that holds it in place so to speak. The steric really helps absorb some of that moisture. I haven't had problems at 2 T per pound.

You may have to do more than wait lol. I realize the fridge didn't work. I don't imagine you plan to use this candle. Sooooo ... my suggestions:

1) put it in the freezer for a day (it will come out, but use paper towels so that you don't color any food)

2) poke and prod and blow in that wick hole. Chances are that's where the suction is.

3) Shake that mold till your arm falls off.

4) Blast some cold air into that hole

5) STick it in the oven on low and remelt (be sure to use a heat resistant container underneath the mold)

6) Not all my methods are printable, but if you have a touch of sailor in you, use it. Sometimes wax shrinks when it's scared.

7) Pray.

You didn't keep it long enough in the fridge. Depending on the temperature of your fridge it may need 20 minutes or more to get the candle a little chilled.

When the candle is fairly cold, take it out and make sure the wick hole is open (to let air in as the candle slips out). Turn it upside down and warm the mold with your hands. That will expand the mold and make the candle release. Probably it will slide out by itself or it might need a little tap to get started.

the candle is out!

No excessive seeping except from the bottom and .. ladies and gentlemen.. my firts mottle!!!!:yay:

tomorrow I will melt it and add a 2% of stearic.

Thank for your support!

ETA: are mottled candles always so hard to unmold or stearic helps in this sense also?

tia

post-1267-139458411556_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458411559_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Just read your post about your paraffin and stearic. From all my readings on mottled candles and through experiments, stearinc actually inhibits the mottling affect on candles. When making mottled candles, stearic should be avoided. If you do a search of how to make mottled candles, most of them will tell you not to add stearic, it cancels the mottling effect.

Robyn :-)

Hi again ,

I just took this off a site about mottled candles.

***You can make mottled candles on purpose by adding 3 tablespoons of mineral oil to 1 lb of melted paraffin ****

Mineral oil is also baby oil that you can find in your local supermarket, if you can find the unscented type would be best.

Hope this helps ,

Robyn

Stearic should not be used in conjunction with mineral oils for a mottling affect. I would think this to be a much cheaper alternative than using stearic.

There are a few different ways to make mottled candles, using parol oil, mineral oil , snowflake oil and also using stearic without the use of the abovementioned products.

But just plain baby oil works just as good, I did also try vegetable cooking oil mixed in the paraffin, the results were actually the same. With the vegetable oil though , a tiny bit was used , eg. a tablespoon per 1 litre, not sure of your measurements there , this is Australian.

Anyway , there is heaps of cheaper ways to achive a mottled effect,

Take Care,

Actually stearic will not stop mottling until its used up to around 10% or greater - partially because the wax starts becoming really opaque also. Around 5% will actually HELP unmolding also.

I can tell you from experience that the type of mottle you get is VERY dependant on the FO used. You can keep everything the same as far as percentages go, but just switch FOs and you can come out with some VERY different mottling - patches, snowflakes, all-over - etc. One pic is here http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27261&highlight=major .

Hi,

Just read your post about your paraffin and stearic. From all my readings on mottled candles and through experiments, stearinc actually inhibits the mottling affect on candles. When making mottled candles, stearic should be avoided. If you do a search of how to make mottled candles, most of them will tell you not to add stearic, it cancels the mottling effect.

Nope. Steric works fine. Seriously. Great amounts might have an affect. Perhaps you meant some vybars?

Stearic doesn't kill mottle.

I used a 2% of stearic when I remelted this candle. It's still in the mold (LOL) but the mottling and the seeping are the same of the experiment of no stearic.

Now I don't know what to do first: changing pouring temps keeping this formula, then add againg stearic, or first add another 1% stearic then playing with temps.:rolleyes2

Stearic doesn't kill mottle.

I used a 2% of stearic when I remelted this candle. It's still in the mold (LOL) but the mottling and the seeping are the same of the experiment of no stearic.

Now I don't know what to do first: changing pouring temps keeping this formula, then add againg stearic, or first add another 1% stearic then playing with temps.:rolleyes2

Add another 1% stearic. Adding too little might not help enough with the sweating and there's a certain amount that can even make it worse.

Keep in mind it is going to bleed somewhat in the mold - that's normal and you can wipe it off when you take the candle out. The goal is that the mottling looks the way you want and it doesn't sweat after demolding.

Hi Scented, yes it's seeping the same, but for now I saw only the bottom because it's still in the mold.

I used 2% I don't know if it compares to your TBS, I had 100 grams of wax, so I did 2% stearic, and the FO is at 5%. I'm using JS cherry limeade.

I will add another 1% so it makes a total of 3%, then start to play with temps.

I just read an old post, Top was saying that in small amounts stearic can stimulate mottling, so maybe this is what's happening.

:wave: