What do all the numbers mean?

Here is a good link, go down the page a bit and there is an answer to your question.

I'd'>http://www.candlecauldron.com/burningquestion.html

I've seen that but I still don't understand.

The first number is supposed to be the size, but what does that mean? Yield is based on the thickness of the wick but doesn't seem to correspond to the "size" number very clearly. Sometimes it's even out of order.

The second number is supposed to be the tightness of the braiding and it says that a higher number means a slower burn. In reality the higher numbers burn faster.

The third number is supposed to be the temperature of some kind of wax. What in the world is that and why do we care? It's not the wick wax because the wick isn't primed during manufacture. You can buy it with the third number and no wick wax at all.

I'd love to know the answer, but there must be a clearer explanation.

I sent an e-mail to A&P to ask about it. I don't have high hopes for a reply, but who knows.

Maybe it would be useful to know, maybe not. It would be interesting anyway. The explanation on Candle Cauldron doesn't seem very clear and all the others I've seen online are stolen from there.

I didn't have any luck getting further clarification from A&P on what the numbers mean, but I guess they convinced me it doesn't matter too much.

ME: Many people would like to understand what the various numbers mean in the zinc wick size designations and how they relate to wick performance. Do you have any technical literature that explains it? Thank you very much.

A&P: As far as the part numbers go, they do not really mean anything to the customer. It is just a code that production uses to know which part to make. If you want to know how the performance is different between each one, please visit our website at www.apwicks.com and there you will find information and rate charts about each of our wick types.

ME: Thanks for your reply. Normally I do go by the rate charts for information on the relative performance of the wicks. It still would be interesting from a technical perspective to know what the numbers mean, if there's any information about it.

A&P: It is simply braider and yarn type information that is proprietary. I don’t even know what the #’s stand for. Sorry for being so vague.