black soot in wax...

I am finding that several of the candles that otherwise burn fine seem to accummulate black soot in the wax from the burn. I know if I put colorant into the candle this will make this less obvious, but what do you think causes this. Most of the time it is when I am double wicking with either RRD40 or LX20 in Bluegrass soy. (18oz elevation jar)

Thanks,

Lola

I am getting this also, but not due to wax or wick, but in anthing I put in Jar Store's Melting Pot jar. I think it has to do with air turbulence. I only get the soot deposits when the candle is burned down halfway into the jar. I really like the looks of the jar, but I don't like how it does that. I'm about ready to give up on it.

geek

That was me!! Still have not solved the problem, so I am getting rid of all my 16oz apothecary and going to try another jar. I had this problem with several different types of wicks and I also tried to reduce my percentage of fo. I have concluded that it is the air flow into the container when it gets to a certain point. my 10oz jars I do not seem to have a problem with. Sorry I could not help more. Kristy

Kristy K,

I tried the 16 ounce Appothecary and didn't take me long to forget it.I double wicked if I remember and also tried a large single wick.One was to much and the other not enough for a melt pool. I know the 16 ounce mason is not attractive but went to that till I find a pretty 16 ounce jar I like.Anyone have some suggestion for a nice 16 ounce jar????

LynnS

Kristy K,

Anyone have some suggestion for a nice 16 ounce jar????

LynnS

I use what is referred to as a 16 oz Apothecary from the Candlemaker's Store, but it is more of a Keepsake jar and 16 oz if you fill it all the way up the neck to the very top. It actually will hold 12 oz when filled to the base of the neck. The jar is 3 1/2 inches wide, and the mouth is 3 inches wide. I never have any sooting problems in the wax with these jars. You can get either a globe or a flat glass closed fitment.

HTH! geek

Thank you Geekrunner.My husband and I were there last week and I got the teddy bear and the classic jars.For the jar what size wick do you use and do you get it at the Candlemakers Store?

I really like the classic and teddy bear jars.The classic jars are about spotless when burning my candles.Nothing on the sides. I started out with the octagon jar and liked it BUT when getting to the bottom I had a hard time lighting the candle unless I had the long matches.So went to the classic.

I will try that jar.I can honestly say I didn't take much time.I just gave up after a couple tries and said forget this jar there are more.So I moved on.

LynnS

Thank you Geekrunner.My husband and I were there last week and I got the teddy bear and the classic jars.For the jar what size wick do you use and do you get it at the Candlemakers Store?

I really like the classic and teddy bear jars.The classic jars are about spotless when burning my candles.Nothing on the sides. I started out with the octagon jar and liked it BUT when getting to the bottom I had a hard time lighting the candle unless I had the long matches.So went to the classic.

I will try that jar.I can honestly say I didn't take much time.I just gave up after a couple tries and said forget this jar there are more.So I moved on.

LynnS

PM'd ya ;)

geek

Junebug,

I have the problem but for me I do not trim my wick.Yes tell others to do it but don't myself.Guilty as charged.Strange thing when I wipe my kitchen cabinets they don't have soot but I have no problem with that.Just soot around the top of jar.

I promise the next candle I will trim wick every time.

Soot isn't with every jar when I don't trim the wick.Just once in a while.Might be the stronger fo's too.

LynnS

Isn't it caused by a self trimming wick? I have that too and that is what I figured was causing it.

Dixie

I thought the same thing! It seems to happen more with some fragrances than others....probably heavier ones. I just thought, well, if it is self-trimming, those must be the trimmings....:D

I also think some Fo's as I mentioned.The Strong ones. BUT what do we tell our customers when they buy APPLE PIE and say will it burn Clean.With my honesty I would have to say Well that is a stronger FO and sometimes they produce some soot.

A for instance.A lady brought a candle and I mentioned trim your wick.She said WHAT for??I said it will help if soot.She said I have never trimmed before and had no problems.So what do I say next???She isn't going to do it.

At a show the other day we were burning Twigs and Berrie and Cherry Cobbler.My husband looked at the Twigs and Berries and said I am bothered by the black smoke coming from that.I saw it but the jar was very clean.It is a heavier stronger FO but at least no soot but sure was smokey.

I have made a Apple Pie and soot was bad and made another candle with same scent and clean.Never a happy medium.The Twigs and Berries is clean but might make another and be sooty.I never use more than a ounce of FO per lb.

LynnS

I have had customers say no problem with my candles.Don't mention soot or burn bad.Say they are fine.

I don't see how you can do accurate and consistent testing without trimming to a standard length before each lighting. You get different results depending on how the wick is trimmed.

Wicks don't automatically self-trim. That takes a perfect matching of wick and wax formula and candle size. In a highly fragranced container candle it's impossible most of the time and might happen by sheer chance, if ever.

The amount of soot generated by wick self-trimming is insignificant. When you see black stuff, it's coming from incomplete burning of the candle mixture. Whether it's discoloring the wax, or blackening the jar, or just going straight up in the air, IMO it's a sign that the candle isn't burning right.