Mottled Newbie needs help!

OK, I used IGI 1343, 3/4 oz frag., 2 TBL stearic & a bit of UV and poured into alum mold at 185. Covered with box for about 4 hrs., did repour twice. This AM, I pulled it out and it was a beautiful slick candle! No mottled. What did I do wrong? Thanks for your help.

Making mottled candles the way you like them to look is a process of experimentation. What you want is to load the wax with your fragrance (or mottling oil) so that it can't all be held in the wax. The oil seeps out causing a mottled look. The more steric you add, the less mottling you will get because steric helps bind the oil in the wax. Also different fragrances will mottle less, some alot. So some mottle well with 1/2 to 1 0z. pp.

Some people have used 1/2 tsp with this wax and some use only the wax, color and UV. HTH. Hope someone else chimes in here, because there are some members who make stunning mottled candles.

Well I use 2 to 3 T of steric in my mottles. Got a slick candle? The steric acts a mop to help absorb some of that slick look, feel, touch. I'm wondering if you used enough FO though. However, it's possible to also have a version of 1343 that does not mottle. You might remelt and try again with a little more FO.