is making your own wick bad??????

But you aren't little anymore and if you are gonna make candles, you REALLY need to read about different wicks and wicking a cande!! If you aren't kidding, you'd better make sure your product liability insurance is paid and you have LOTS of coverage!! :cool2:

I agree with ChrisR.

Yes, if you do what you say, you have a string with wax on it resembling a wick.

BUT is it SAFE? What SIZE wick would it be? What diameter of candle would you be able to put it in for that candle to burn properly and safely? Would you be able to duplicate the results each and every time you made your own wick?

There are tons and tons of other questions that would need to be asked, but these are the types of questions you need to ask yourself before you even attempt to start in a venture like this.

Safety for yourself and others should always be the primary concern when starting a new venture. Not just what is quick, easy and seems like it could work.

HTH :)

You won't be able to make a good wick like the real manufacturers do, because you don't have the proper materials or the equipment to braid it properly.

However, it might be a neat thing to do as an experiment and a learning experience about candlemaking, if you could limit it just to that.

The wicking needs to be soaked in flame retardant solution to work properly. They used to call this "pickling" and the manufacturers still use an equivalent chemical treatment. It's essential to do it.

Typically you can use boric acid. There are some instructions here. http://www.endtimesreport.com/making_candles.html

Don't sell these candles. Burn them under controlled conditions where they won't start a fire if anything goes wrong. But yeah, it should work.

Is making your own wick bad??????? when I was little I would always take rope and dip it in wax a few times and then you tie it on to a penny that has a hole in it and you have a wick.

Besides that I can buy a wick and tab already made for a penny, so why use one just to hold a wick? You might even get in trouble with drilling a hole in the penny if someone wanted to push the issue. Bruce

But you aren't little anymore and if you are gonna make candles, you REALLY need to read about different wicks and wicking a cande!! If you aren't kidding, you'd better make sure your product liability insurance is paid and you have LOTS of coverage!! :cool2:

I am making it for me not to sell so their should not be a problem with that right????

Besides that I can buy a wick and tab already made for a penny, so why use one just to hold a wick? You might even get in trouble with drilling a hole in the penny if someone wanted to push the issue. Bruce

why would you get in trouble with drilling a hole in a penny???????

You won't be able to make a good wick like the real manufacturers do, because you don't have the proper materials or the equipment to braid it properly.

However, it might be a neat thing to do as an experiment and a learning experience about candlemaking, if you could limit it just to that.

The wicking needs to be soaked in flame retardant solution to work properly. They used to call this "pickling" and the manufacturers still use an equivalent chemical treatment. It's essential to do it.

Typically you can use boric acid. There are some instructions here. http://www.endtimesreport.com/making_candles.html

Don't sell these candles. Burn them under controlled conditions where they won't start a fire if anything goes wrong. But yeah, it should work.

thank you so much

P.S. I was never planing on selling the candles I just like having them to look at

You can do it any way you wish, although it would be potentially hazardous.. However, since you asked the opinion of experienced candlemakers the only response you could expect here is to purchase yourself some candlemaking wicks. They are relatively easy and inexpensive to find. Almost any local craft store carries at least some generic brand of wicks.

Drilling a hole into a coin and dipping a string into wax is more work and expense than is necessary. Even if it is for your own use, consider the potential fire hazard you are creating for yourself. Good luck!