Safflower & Sunflower now specialty oils?

Carol M

I'm sure I used to be able to buy safflower and sunflower oils in the 48 oz jugs for around $2.29 like regular canola and soybean oils. I'm positive Wesson was one of the brands. Now, it seems the only way to get them in the grocery is to go with a specialty brand for about $4 for 32 oz. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep, the Sunflower Oleic and Safflower oleic are both high priced around here too, not as high as Olive Pomace but higher than Canola or Soybean. Luckly I found some locally at NaturalOils.com (which is a 17min drive for me) so I can save on shipping. But a gallon of sunflower oleic is $24

I'm sure I used to be able to buy safflower and sunflower oils in the 48 oz jugs for around $2.29 like regular canola and soybean oils. I'm positive Wesson was one of the brands. Now, it seems the only way to get them in the grocery is to go with a specialty brand for about $4 for 32 oz. Has anyone else noticed this?

My supermarket used to sell Grapeseed Oil for 2.99 a bottle.

Now it's over 6.00. All soaping oils are getting kinda pricey, IMO.

Yep, same here in the NW. Our local markets took Wesson sunflower oil off the shelf last year. A few months ago tho, I happened to wander into one of the Grocery Outlet stores here,they had 25oz sunflower oil for 1.29 ea. :shocked2:

You should have seen my husbands face when I came home a few times with 6 bottles of it. :laugh2: Its also great to cook with.

Gina

• 2 weeks later...

Our grocery had store-brand sunflower oil, 48 oz. for $2.49 and occasional sales for $2.00. Over the past year they have steadily increased the price to $4 per 48 oz and never a sale. Is there a sunflower shortage or what...I've seen tons of them all fall?? :laugh2:

First olive oil triples, now sunflower doubles. It's starting to be cheaper just to order everything in! :angry2: