tree ornaments

Howdy! :D

I did a search but the answers don't suit my question.

I want to make tree ornaments, but I'm not quite sure how. I used 1343 (I'm not that great with parafin... and they say soy is a beast, sheesh!) heated to 190, added dye and 1oz/1lbs. Poured onto a cookie sheet about 1/2" thick. When it was almost set, I cut shapes with cookie cutters. Punched a hole with a nail, and popped out when dried. Is that how you make these?

While the wax was setting up, there was beads of FO all over the place. Hmm...?

I don't know but I would guess that your wax just did not take the FO load. I've had M&P soap do the same to me. Laugh at me if I'm totally off the mark here candle ladies, lol... but it makes sense to me! I know every wax is different. And if that's the only problem you had - it's definitely somewhere in the FO. That is as long as it wasn't 'sweat' from having been put in the freezer or anything.

grrr... I don't know. I've never put FO in parafin before. Maybe it wasn't hot enough, or maybe it was that junk FO I bought! I'm glad I tried more reputable buyers oils first, because now I know what the crappy ones are like. No wonder dollar store and others can sell for so cheap!

I made the cutest ornaments out of this wax this weekend.

I took about a pound, added FO and dye - and then whipped it with a whisk.

put it in cookie cutters with a fork and voila! gingerbread men made of wax. and with the right coloring, it looks like it could have been oatmeal cookie dough that I used.

It's been a couple of years ago, but I made wax ornaments using the Brown Bag cookie molds. I used a very hard pillar wax and loved the way these ornaments looked, but found that I didn't use enough UV inhibitor and they faded too much. I love those molds anyway and found tons of 'em on ebay.

I only have 2 christmas-y cookie cutters, as luck would have it. but I did find that if I left the wax in for any length of time, it was a bit more difficult to remove. it was easier to remove ASAP and risk them falling apart that worry about crumbling them by forcing them out.