Anyone know what causes this?

Kaybee23

I oven process all of my soap and they are usually okay. The last 3 or 4 batches have been wrinkling up on the top, as you can see from the pics. This was a beautiful white with black swirl when it went into the oven, but you can see now, that it looks like dookie on top. It looks kinda wrinkled, but has some pitting and some raised places on it. I thought it might be overheating, so after the 2nd time doing it, I started taking it out after it gelled, but it still happened. The only other thing that is different is that I have been using about 1 or 2 tbsps of glycerine to mix my oxide or color. Can that be causing this? I soap at room temp, but my next batch I am going to cover and insulate well and see if I can bring it to gel, without the oven process. Anyone have this happen or any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks. :D

edited: cause I can't spell.

post-28-139458410916_thumb.jpg

post-28-13945841092_thumb.jpg

That's got to just be real frustrating! :angry2:

I find when I put mine in the oven I've got to keep a close eye on it. I put it in for 50 minutes at 170 degrees covered with a thick cutting board. Then turn off the oven. After this I peek under slide the board off the top to see what's happening. If I notice any disturbance on the surface (little bubbles forming, wrinkles, etc.) off comes the cover because I know it will worsen! If it is gelling with too much heat - steaming under the cover - I slide the cover open slightly to release the excess heat. And sometimes I just take the cover off (if water is condensing on the inside surface of the board) and leave it off until the oven has cooled enough to put it back on for the night. I've had batches go from a perfectly smooth top when just poured to a surface that looks like badly sunburned skin (little blisters all over)! From what I've experienced it's excess heating. When I keep a close eye on it, and peek from time to time, I have better luck.

The reason I keep using the oven is I get a more even gel throughout the entire batch plus space is at a premium at my house. :rolleyes2

Sorry about "the book" reply. I agree with the "too much heat" opinion that Jcandleattic gave. :cheesy2: