So far loving GL 70/30!!

I had to tell everyone how much I'm loving GL 70/30 so far! :yay: It cuts like butter when measuring it out which makes that SO much easier. And the top is SO smooth! The cold throw is pretty ok. I'm testing Bitter Creek's A Northwood Christmas in it. I'll burn it tomorrow and hopefully *crossing fingers* its hot throw is awesome!

My name is smart tart and I have been making candles for 3+ years.....:D

I also am now using GL's 70/30 and really like it alot.....how are you getting your tops smooth and even.....? I have yet to pour a candle that I didn't have to zap the top with my heat gun to even it out....maybe my anal side is showing? But a smooth, even top is very important to me so I zap every one.....

Debbie

I love this wax also and have also found that the throw is better after letting it set a little bit especially with the lighter scents. With the stronger scents I don't have to really let them sit more than 24/48 hours. HTH

My name is smart tart and I have been making candles for 4 + years.....:D

I also am now using GL's 70/30 and really like it alot.....how are you getting your tops smooth and even.....? I have yet to pour a candle that I didn't have to zap the top with my heat gun to even it out....maybe my anal side is showing? But a smooth, even top is very important to me so I zap every one.....

Debbie

Pour at 150.

Dixie

I too am testing the GL-70/30 to have in addition to my soy. I really like it. I find that it has a better hot throw than cold throw. I am having great results with the hot throw with most fragrances. I have two problems with this wax though....1. Have trouble double wicking it in jars that are not smooth sided, evenly round and wide -- I get weak flames.....and 2. The meltpool gets too deep with double wicking even in apothecary jars. You cannot tell this until you get close to the bottom because it will look like it is only a 1//2 inch meltpool looking from the side but when you look straight down the candle from the top and when it is close to the bottom you can see the wick tabs (1 1/4 inch - about - meltpool) and this is with a wick that I cannot go any smaller with -- perfect burn. There is always something with every wax. :undecided But it really is a great wax compared to most. I have had those two problems with some other blends as well.

I'm been following the instructions GL sent with the wax. They didnt say anything about having to cool it down before pouring. Just to heat to between 185-195 and pour. And the tops are BEAUTIFUL! Very smooth!

When the 1st batch of 70/30 came out, it was recommended to heat to 185-190, mix in FOs, cool to around 150 & pour. The next batches from the manufacturer were a little different so the recommendations for pour temps changed to "pour as soon as oils are blended in", thus pouring hotter.

I've been using the 70/30 for 7 months and get smooth tops no matter what temp I pour at. Only problem that I had was a few candles had holes next to the wick. Several others had this happen too and it was caused by the candle cooling too quickly.

I'm another GL 70/30 user and love it. I use Peak's fo's in it and have much success both cold/hot throw. Perfect tops every time. I do pour between 190-195 though and heat my containers...wrap in a towel and cover with a box to cool slowly...seems to help make a perfect looking candle. Needs to cure 3-5 days for best cold throw.