My first Gel Candle

Angie B

Hello Angie, I have some questions concerning your gels, I cannot tell absolutely from the pics but it appears you have many flammable items in some of these, (plastic plants and fish, seashells, (flowers, on your site,) etc.) and they don't seem to be double glassed. Perhaps I am just not seeing the inner container in your pics?

As well some look slightly cloudy, it may be an abundance of bubbles or the way the picture was taken but it can also be from using polar fragrancing, (not suitable for gel and a safety hazard). If you have ensured your fragrances are "gel safe" then I am sorry to have mentioned it.

I am a fanatic about safety especially where gels are concerned, unsafe candles can impact all of us and if I have assumed incorrectly my apologies and if not and you would like some further help and direction with your gels there is many great people willing to help here.

Wendy

marika....

Man you are something..I'm not pulling no ones leg...I am a person (WITH FEELINGS) just like you. I dont have to prove anything to you....I just come here to get advise on why some of my creations are having faults. I'm in no means saying im perfect or my candles are perfect...this was one of my first Gel candles & thats what got me into wanting to make others....For what ever reason these came out good & I was surprised just like you must be..from what i am reading. What, do you think I'm buying these..or what? If i was I wouldnt be making no money on what i am charging...

I just wish you guys would give me some slack!!! I'v gottne bashed 4 times tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!Some of my candles are coming out great & some are failing..thats why i am here...Man you guys can break the new guys..i dont know how you guys keep people coming here.

Angie B

Angie

I don't think anyone is trying to break you. But if you are new to this, you seem to be putting the horse behind the cart. Making soaps and candles is wonderful but you are playing with fire if you don't test before you sell. The website just didn't look like a "newbie" effort. Guess you could call our skepticism a compliment

Mari

You know maybe your right, but reading this as a newbie..wow it did 2 things..#1 hit home at what i have to look forward to #2 man these people are harsh & it felt like to me that you were saying I was a fake! It hurt! Maybe thats what I need. Harsh critizim..I guess i can tell my mother N law thank you for making my site look so good...

Wow, you have talent. Sure those are firsts..:) They are all very nice...Like the fishy one, too!

Those actually were my first ones..well after about 3 failed ones..but they were my first good ones after just making them for about a week striaght. I read on here where people think i'm pulling their legs or your guys legs...I swear to you..i am not..my Gel just seem to come out alot better then my Paraffin wax candles..maybe i do have a talent in just Gels...who knows.

For those of you that think i'm fake...i'm sorry you think that. I just wish you knew me better.

Angie B

Those actually were my first ones..well after about 3 failed ones..but they were my first good ones after just making them for about a week striaght. I read on here where people think i'm pulling their legs or your guys legs...I swear to you..i am not..my Gel just seem to come out alot better then my Paraffin wax candles..maybe i do have a talent in just Gels...who knows.

For those of you that think i'm fake...i'm sorry you think that. I just wish you knew me better.

Angie B

I just meant it as a compliment. Meaning great firsts. By the way, I tried to answer a question that you had asked me directly on one of my threads earlier today. It was a rather long answer, so rather than put it on my thread, I tried to send it via PM to you. I wasn't able to send it via, PM because it said that you weren't accepting them or couldn't accept them or something like that.

Anyway, I copied and pasted it to an email and emailed it to you. That was earlier this afternoon, so check your email..:)

Best regards

I just meant it as a compliment. Meaning great firsts. By the way, I tried to answer a question that you had asked me directly on one of my threads earlier today. It was a rather long answer, so rather than put it on my thread, I tried to send it via PM to you. I wasn't able to send it via, PM because it said that you weren't accepting them or couldn't accept them or something like that.

Anyway, I copied and pasted it to an email and emailed it to you. That was earlier this afternoon, so check your email..:)

Best regards

I dont know whats up wth my account..I have tried attaching pics & it says Im not allowed...I have tried sending PMs & it says I;m not allowed..i can only copy & paste pics & send emails. I've asked questions in the other forums, but no one can seem to figure it out. Sorry.

I NOW know after reading over replys again that you were saying Good JOB..& thank you, very much...I have gotten your email & reading now..thanks! I usualy dont check this one til after I get everyone settled & in bed & being friday night, its been alittle crazy around here..plus i'm making chunks for a chunk pillar tomorrow. I've replied to some of my replies if you havnet read them yet..explaining myself..again i'm sorry...

Good, glad that you got the email. Maybe Sara or Vicky can help you straighten out your CT account.

If you don't already have it, here's a link on gel candle fragrance polarity: Country Crafter is a pretty knowledgeable person also, so it will likely pay off to pay attention to what she was saying..:) about safety.

http://www.gelcandlemaking.com/section4.html

I'd also test burn the *ice candles* that I saw on your website, if you haven't already..I haven't made any, but it would seem to me that some of the wax could run out through the holes while burning and possibly end up creating a too long of a wick situation, which could in turn create a too high of a flame situation...just a thought..if I'm wrong about that don't hesitate to say so..:D

Anyway, be safe, have fun, and you sure do make some pretty candles! Can't wait to see the chunk pillar.

Angie, after looking at a few of the candles on your website, I must say, they look very nice.

I might suggest you re test some of your creations though. I can tell just by looking at them your going to have some serious problems. Maybe you got your notes mixed up. I would advise very strongly against selling them, it could get you in some serious hot water.

A few suggestions....

1) I think you might want to retest the heart dish, I don't think it will burn right with 2 wicks, I have tested that one with two and it has never worked.

2) Silk flowers are not safe to burn, if your using them you have to double glass your candle. Your creating a torch, testing would have proven that.

3) Your using polar fragrances, this will cause the scent and gel to seperate, and the scent will catch fire. This is a big safety issue. You can only use non polar sscents in anything containing any gel.

Start with this, and you should have better success in the way your candles preform.

Thank you Crafty Chris...You brought up alot of issues I have thought about...the heart, yes...I made it & thought afterwards "I should have put 3 wicks", so thank you for seeing that. Silk flowers, yes again...I also found that to be true & I am making new improvments to put on the site. My site is under construction & so still making improvements. I have taken the proper actions to take off my order page & "contact me" page with any info that might lead to others that I am selling. I dont want to sell anything yet..just using family as test dumbies...lol (my mother n law is the one that does all the coding of the site (hosting) so i have to get with her on that...)

Gel...Someone told me acouple days ago to ask you about Gel's..I just learned about a week ago about the Gel SAFE FO's...I do know some I have from Cajun's Candle Factory was Gel safe, but not paying attention to what ones..so next time I will..Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

Angelwings1...I to like to use my Gel's as forever candles...yes, the safest way to go..I was planning on labeling those candles as decoration only. But I like forever candles (phrase) better...thanks

Now, to note a few words about what has happened on here the last couple days...

Mirika & Michi -

I do know what you are saynig & I understand where your coming from. I have been putting my horse behind the cart..I think is what you said..lol After sleeping on it & havinmg dreams that scared me like crazy...lol I am taking off my order page for now & any contact info (other then email for questions)...I dont want people to stumble over my website & expect to buy quite yet. I do want to PERFECT my candles & I know its going to take along time. With your guys help maybe i can do that. You guys seem to know what you are talking about I hope...after all that was said yesterday...

On that note..please forgive me for my harsh words for I was just upset & hurt. I hope you guys undersrand how I felt & help me work through this hobby.

Angie B

Please give me feedback & I promise I wont take it badly..I did this one as a cold pour/rustic...with apple spice scent..

Question though.air bubbles..i had some on the surface..I just poped them, but can they cause any danger when burning?

Another question about Ice candles..How do they burn..with all the holes...wouldnt it cause it to melt to fast? Just a thought..I've only done 2 ice candles..just wondering if anyone else has?

47b6ce26b3127cce8da64f8a661e00000016108BaMWjhy5Zo

47b6ce26b3127cce8da64ff6666200000016108BaMWjhy5Zo

this is just a chunk candle I did..today

I'd also test burn the *ice candles* that I saw on your website, if you haven't already..I haven't made any, but it would seem to me that some of the wax could run out through the holes while burning and possibly end up creating a too long of a wick situation, which could in turn create a too high of a flame situation...just a thought..if I'm wrong about that don't hesitate to say so..:D
Another question about Ice candles..How do they burn..with all the holes...wouldnt it cause it to melt to fast? Just a thought..I've only done 2 ice candles.

I thought you test ALL of your candles? If you had, you would know how they burn!!

Angie, after looking at a few of the candles on your website, I must say, they look very nice.

I might suggest you re test some of your creations though. I can tell just by looking at them your going to have some serious problems. Maybe you got your notes mixed up. I would advise very strongly against selling them, it could get you in some serious hot water.

A few suggestions....

1) I think you might want to retest the heart dish, I don't think it will burn right with 2 wicks, I have tested that one with two and it has never worked.

2) Silk flowers are not safe to burn, if your using them you have to double glass your candle. Your creating a torch, testing would have proven that.

3) Your using polar fragrances, this will cause the scent and gel to seperate, and the scent will catch fire. This is a big safety issue. You can only use non polar sscents in anything containing any gel.

Start with this, and you should have better success in the way your candles preform.

I made it & thought afterwards "I should have put 3 wicks", so thank you for seeing that. Silk flowers, yes again...

This I just do not understand at all, if you had tested this, you would have KNOWN that 2 wicks weren't going to work, you'd still be testing this container, and not putting the pic. on your website.

All of my seascapes i make are forever candles the safest way to go, plus the customers like them better.

yes, the safest way to go..I was planning on labeling those candles as decoration only. But I like forever candles (phrase) better...thanks

Now I'm convinced you just jumped into this candlemaking without reading or learning a bit- just that you wanted to make them look good and sell them.

Yah, you could label them as decoration only, but as long as there is a wick in there, I guarantee you someone, somewhere is gonna try to light that sucker up, and then what? You think you won't be held liable?

Gel...Someone told me acouple days ago to ask you about Gel's..I just learned about a week ago about the Gel SAFE FO's...I do know some I have from Cajun's Candle Factory was Gel safe, but not paying attention to what ones..so next time I will..Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

I think you should slow waaay down, start focusing on ONE type of candle, whether it be gel containers, ice candle pillars, or whatever, and learn everything you can about that ONE certain thing, so you will not be wasting money, making totally avoidable and silly mistakes (using the wrong FO, flammable embeds, etc.). If you had read up on gel candles FIRST you could have saved yourself a TON of money already.

I have taken the proper actions to take off my order page & "contact me" page with any info that might lead to others that I am selling. I dont want to sell anything yet..just using family as test dumbies...lol

I truly hope that you will take the whole thing offline, you are NO WHERE near ready to sell ANYTHING!! Harsh, yes, but the more you answer people and try and defend yourself (backpedal) the more I realize just how little you know about candlemaking/burning safety.

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't even be letting your family burn ANY of your candles, until you have tested and retested them-"just using family as test dumbies" Do you value your family so little that you would give them testers that you know nothing about??

The more I read from you, the more justified I feel in speaking up about this. I don't normally "bash" or jump all over people, but I feel strongly about what you are (more likely what you're NOT) doing to ensure the safety of others.

Please give me feedback & I promise I wont take it badly..I did this one as a cold pour/rustic...with apple spice scent..

Question though.air bubbles..i had some on the surface..I just poped them, but can they cause any danger when burning?

Another question about Ice candles..How do they burn..with all the holes...wouldnt it cause it to melt to fast? Just a thought..I've only done 2 ice candles..just wondering if anyone else has?

47b6ce26b3127cce8da64f8a661e00000016108BaMWjhy5Zo

47b6ce26b3127cce8da64ff6666200000016108BaMWjhy5Zo

this is just a chunk candle I did..today

Your chunk candle looks great...very nice!

As for your rustic, it looks nice also and a few small air bubbles shouldn't be a big deal. Pouring slower starting at the top edge of the mold and letting the wax run all the way down the side can reduce air bubbles. Or putting something like a clean paint stick in the mold and letting the pouring wax glide down that to the bottom can reduce splattering and air bubbles.

Air pockets is a different story. Always poke relief holes in pillars to let the air escape as the wax cools and shrinks. What kind of wax did you use for that candle. Was it a straight full refined paraffin or a blend?

As for your question about ice candles, "how do they burn?"

Burn one of them and see for yourself is the best answer that I can give. :)

p.s. your presentation with the fall leaves is vey nice also.