help first show in 3 weeks!!!!

Hello everyone, here is my problem i was looking at my stuff the other day and some of my container candles ( made from soy wax cb 135) have a white looking frost starting to creep up from the bottom of the container, is there anyway of fixing this ...please any advice will be great

thanks

No way to fix it that I'm aware of, just explain to your customers it's a common characteristic of soy. If it's really bad and bothering you, you might try remelting one or two in the oven (set on warm) to see if it helps a little. It might very well come back later, though. I know that's not a lot of help, but it doesn't seem to keep people from buying.

When I tried to put a frosted candle into the oven (at 170 degrees), the frost went away, but when it cooled it came back even more. Like Accents said, just explain to your customers that frost doesn't hurt the burn of the candle and that because of the frost, you know it is a soy wax candle and will burn cleaner. HTH

Brandies22,

I get that in my candles also. If the top frosts I take a heat gun and go over the top. That make the top beautiful again. I dont know of any way to overcome the frosting in the bottom of the jar.

I agree with accents and tell my customers its normal for soy, they understand and dont mind it.

When I tried to put a frosted candle into the oven (at 170 degrees), the frost went away, but when it cooled it came back even more. Like Accents said, just explain to your customers that frost doesn't hurt the burn of the candle and that because of the frost, you know it is a soy wax candle and will burn cleaner. HTH

Same thing happened to mine. It looked worse than before I remelted it.

Maggie

It sounds like what you're experiencing is "bloom", something that also happens to chocolate when it is stored improperly and/or for a long time.

I don't think you can fix it, but you can probably prevent it; either by not storing them for a long time (more than a few weeks), or storing it properly.

From Everything2.com

Blooming can occur in one of two ways: fat bloom or sugar bloom.

Fat bloom is a situation that results when the chocolate has been stored at a high temperature (70°F/20°C) for a period of time. During this time the temperature will cause the cocoa butter to separate from the rest of the crystallized chocolate mixture and rise to the surface. At the surface the cocoa butter recrystallizes forming the white discoloration. Fat bloom can be distinguished as it will feel slightly oily and will melt upon contact with your hand. It also tends to be accompanied by small cracks that cause the chocolate to look relatively dull in appearance.

Sugar bloom looks the same as fat bloom, but is created in a slightly different manner. Sugar bloom arises when there is too much humidity. This causes condensation on the surface of the chocolate that dissolves sugar particles. When the temperature rises again and evaporation occurs the sugar crystals are left on the surface. Sugar bloom can occur when a chilled piece of chocolate is brought into a warmer environment causing it to "sweat" as this liquid will quickly evaporate. Sugar bloom is distinguished from fat bloom by a grainy feel.

Since white chocolate does not contain any chocolate solids, merely cocoa butter, milk solids, and sugar it is immune to blooming.

Both forms of blooming come from improperly storing chocolate. Always keep it tightly wrapped and in a cool place. A cool place, however, does not mean the refrigerator. This will cause the chocolate to easily experience sugar bloom due to the increased humidity and rapid change in temperature.

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on soy bloom, probably because it is marketed as a positive characteristic of soy candles, unlike chocolate, where it isn't.

Hello everyone, here is my problem i was looking at my stuff the other day and some of my container candles ( made from soy wax cb 135) have a white looking frost starting to creep up from the bottom of the container, is there anyway of fixing this ...please any advice will be great

thanks

Another way around it is to do tins.....

[while zapping the tops with a heat gun] "Frost on the bottom? I don't see any stinkin' frost.":D

The other suggestions are good too- explain it to the cutomers, don't make so many ahead of time, heat gun etc.

Another idea (albeit more drastic & time consuming) is to consider a different wax. I've found that CB advanced frosts less than CB 135. But I had to alter a lot of my formulations when I switched.

So, pick your battles and jump in !