Rewicking Test Jars?

I was just reading an old post that mentioned that you can rewick a test container candle. I am very excited about the prospect of doing this since I am burning about 10 different jar/wick combinations right now. Can someone explain to me how this is done? Thanks so much. :yay:

I am not sure how other people do it but what I do is this:

I have a 1/2" coper pipe (small one about 8") and heat the pipe slightly then push it into the wax over the wick all the way to the bottom. Let it cool just a bit and pull the pipe out! The wax will come out of the center with the pipe. You should be able to pull out the wick with the tab with a pair of pliers.

Then place your new wick center on the hole and place the pipe over the wick and push the new wick with tab into the candle. Then I re-melt the wax that came out of the pipe and re-fill the center hole...

This is one of the best things I learned here as a newbie. You just pour your container w/o a wick, when it's all set up, poke a hole in the middle with a skewer (or like object), and put a wick in (w/o a tab, of course!). Then, when you need to change the wick, you just yank the old wick out, stick a new one in, heat gun the top a bit, and voila- re-wicked container!

Just remember, if you put the wick in without anything to hold it to the bottom you really need to be careful about burning to the bottom. Soon as the MP reaches the bottom of the jar the wick can either slide sideways or just tip over and heat the jar up enough that it can crack......you probably know how I know this :shocked2:

This really is a time saver, but when I find a wick that works, I end up making another candle with the wick secured to the bottom of the jar and give it a total test burn to make sure the wick will still perform the way I want at the bottom of the jar, cause more than once I've had a wick either start smoking, or dancing like crazy or even fizzle out. One way to prevent this problem is to have a wick tab with a very high neck on it like many do, but I use the smaller necks. Oh the joys of testing in this business.