what is a reseller's license exactly?

camoflauge

Yep, its just a tax id. I know with my business with retail for misc., i have to display it at the salon. Usually once you give a business your tax id, they will keep it on file for you, so you dont have to keep carrying it w/ you. Its a really simple process to get, but paying the sales tax later, thats a whole different ball of wax. I hate it!

If you are a sole proprietor then you don't have to get a federal tax # you use your SS#. You only need a federal tax # if you have employees that you hold taxes out of their pay.

You get your Tax ID # from your state. That is the # you use to buy wholesale and can only be used on items that will be resold.

when trying to order things whole sale, and EIN # is NOT the same thing as a state sales tax license. :sad2: the EIN number is federal and used instead of giving your social security # out

from what i understand so far the state sales tax license allows you to collect sales tax from customers, but also, is what many wholesalers are looking for before they will allow you to order? correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm just learning all this mumbo jumbo.

anyone who says trying to start a business from scratch is easy has never been through it.

Heather

Thanks mona but i have an EIN number and my understanding is that it is when you have employees, which i do not yet. But some one told me that when you apply for you business license you will get a business tax id number with that. And then it is up to you to pay your taxes monthly and charge your cities sales tax and such...

I am a sole proprietor and have a state sales tax license, not an EIN. When I supply the state sales tax license number to wholesalers I am then permitted to purchase from them. The items I purchase are not for personal use. They are strictly resold through my business.