Adding milk to cp.....

idacandlelady

I was trying not to go to walmart for more goats milk but i'm starting to wonder if my first batch was a fluke and the soap gremlins were having a bad day and forgot about me!..oh but we shall see. :D

the gm soap stories I've read are enough to make any newbie tremble with fear when they think of attempting gm soap.:laugh2: good to know some aren't easily intimidated.

I freeze my goats milk in ice cube trays so have cubes when I want to make soap. At this time I use the canned so mix the lye with 1/2 the liquid amount of water and let it cool a bit. Then add the cubes to make up the other half of the liquid amount. It does go funky orange and stink... but it is gone by the next day.

I made a Goats Milk, Oatmeal and Brown Sugar.........and it stunk to high heaven. It didn't improve after a few days either! It is now about 5 weeks old and starting to smell pretty decent...but oh lord that stuff stinks! I use mainly soy milk in all my cp and i freeze it till it is very very slushy...almost solid then bust it apart with the spoon.....that works very good with soy. If I ever attempt Goat's Milk again I will freeze it next time and try it that way. But after that terrible stink...not sure I want to. Altho I need to do something with all those cans of Goats milk in the soap room! That and coconut milk....I have several cans of that and have never tried that yet.

I have dairy goats, so yeah, I've got it coming out of my ears! I use pure, raw milk, no water added. I do the ice cube tray thing, and store the cubes in big, gallon ZipLoc bags until I need them.

I've tried freezing a pre-measured amount, then slowly adding lye, but I was still getting dark butterscotch colored soap from the carmalized milk. The milk that was liquid had lots of time to cook while the solid mass under it was trying to melt, even when I was adding lye oh-so-slowly.

I've found that the best way is to simply dump the entire amount of lye onto the cubes, and start stirring. It melts much faster, and doesn't give the milk as much time to cook. By the time it's melted, it's ready to pour into your pre-measured, combined and slightly cooled oils. I don't worry so much about temps - the cooler the oil the better, because the milk will continue to heat after the ice has melted, and you really want to keep this mixture as cool as possible, especially if you will be adding honey. When you get it into the mold, be sure to keep it cool - if possible, elevate it off of the surface in order to keep the air circulating around the mold.

And yes, it really will stink, especially if it gets too warm. And another thing about gm is that it tends to take more eo/fo in order to have a good scent by the time they're cured. I'm not sure if it's the heat that burns it off, but whatever you do, just be sure to add a bit more. Also, be careful with color. GM will discolor - anything from the light blonde I get from the quick melt I get from ice cubes, to a dark, butterscotchy color. Blended with this, some colors get pretty murky...

But anywho, when all is said and done, in a few weeks you will have a wonderful, light-blonde colored soap!

April

Where can I find Goats milk? I have never seen it a my Walmart. Are you finding it at Super Walmart or a regular Walmart? Any others places that sell it canned?

Ann

At my walmart it is in the baking section.....right next to the dry milk in boxes and evaporated milk in cans. it is also in the refridgerated section right by the milk...but those are cartons.

MsDammit, good thinking! I've been making gm soaps for a while and never thought about mixing lye/water, wait for cool down then add the gm powder! :cheesy2: I just may have to try that one. You have a great day!

well I did try it a couple of days ago and then I read this thread and thought oops dammit, lol. Too soon to try the soap but hey it looks like soap and doesn't smell funky......

I made mine with slushy evaporated GM and didn't get a funky smell in the soap (though the lye/GM mix wasn't so pleasant).

I've also put powdered GM into the oils and in at trace without a smell.

But I've always had a pretty pungent FO in there, and my nose is not that good anyway!