which soap mold, a kelsei or misty creek

kayearthgrown

I just started making soaps. I have read so many good things about both of these molds, I don't know which one I want to order. Have any of you got both molds that can help me out on this. Which do you like the best and why? I do cp soaps, and have only made a few batches using whatever I can find for a mold. TIA

I have both, and like them both. I don't enjoy lining the Misty Creek but that's not a huge deal. If you want to make layered soaps you won't be able to use the dividers in a Kelsei. The dividers in the Kelsei seem to help pull the swirls down. They both have their positive & negative aspects.

If you want one soon, you may be out of luck with trying to get a Kelsei from the folks that make them, the gentleman who makes the molds was apparently severely injured in the last few days (hand injury).

I have both and LOVE them both for different reasons.

I have made layered soaps in my Kelsei with the dividers and have had no problems at all, but the size of the soap is a bit chunky. (I have the 9 bar)

I LOVE my Misty Creek (16 bar) mold too because the swirls I can make in it are awesome. And the cutter that comes with the Misty Creek really makes that mold worth it IMO, because you can use the cutter on other things besides just with the Misty Creek soap. (My hub cuts my wax with it when I need small 1-2 lb qty's.)

I don't have advice on which one you should get. Personally I say get them both, but if that is not feesible money wise, go with what you think you would get most use out of.. Divider's in the mold that require no cutting? Or a cutter with the mold that can be used for other things..

Good luck in your decision. You will get a good mold no matter which one you choose.

:)

I have a Kelsie mold and one just like the Misty Creek but made by a different company. I bought it off E-Bay. First time I used it with CP soap, it split on every side where it had the slits cut in it. I love my Kelsie mold. No lining and after using a few times, its no trouble removing the soap. No cutting and same size bars every time.

Meredith - geez that must have been an awful mess. My MC has performed beautifully once I learned how to cut straight down (still a challenge, but I'm getting better). Only bad thing about the MC I can still say (I whined quite a bit when it was brandy new) is that I got a splinter off it!

Meredith - geez that must have been an awful mess. My MC has performed beautifully once I learned how to cut straight down (still a challenge, but I'm getting better). Only bad thing about the MC I can still say (I whined quite a bit when it was brandy new) is that I got a splinter off it!

No it didn't make a mess - I had the mold lined. But now there is one slit on each side that is even more difficult to cut straight down. It isn't a MC mold but one I did get off E-Bay.