Hot Apple Pie Pillars

kalamazoo

Today I poured these rustics. After poking the relief holes I noticed that a lot of reddish colour wax was bulging out of the holes, and every time I poked my stick back in more came out of the holes! I heated up some wax to 197F, hoping that it would all melt together again, but no such luck. Hopefully you can see that the candle on the right has a "dome" on the bottom rather than a concave and the wax seems to have been sucked from the join between the red and brown layer, leaving quite a gap (I can insert a thin blade knife up to 5cm in the wall). I am really mad because I have been hoping to achieve this look for some time now and they are going to have to be remelted. :mad: Did I poke the relief holes too soon or were the last two layers poured too cool?:confused: HELP SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE.

p1000441eo1.jpg

post-3166-139458408888_thumb.jpg

post-3166-139458408891_thumb.jpg

What wax/additives did you use? What temps did your pour each layer at? That can make a difference - When you poke relief holes, wax DOES come out of them - that is why you poke them, to allow the wax to expand and contract - you need to poke them every half hour/hour or so until the vents stay clear - wax will come out of them for quite awhile.

What wax/additives did you use? What temps did your pour each layer at? That can make a difference - When you poke relief holes, wax DOES come out of them - that is why you poke them, to allow the wax to expand and contract - you need to poke them every half hour/hour or so until the vents stay clear - wax will come out of them for quite awhile.

I used 1 kg straight paraffin wax, 60g (6%) stearin and 1/2oz FO. Layers poured at 140F, 143F, 143F and 138F respectively. Poured top up wax at 197F which probably shocked the poor candle:grin2: Gonna try again today with different temps.

I'm a dunce with pillars (never done them), but I did want to comment that yours are very pretty! Love your color, and you did well with the rustic effect.

Thanks for the nice comment. Now I am wondering how do I melt these layered candles to try again. I do not want to go through the whole process of melting a new batch of wax and colouring each layer again!!:tongue2:

I think it is about 1/2hour between each pour. Sometimes the edge of the layer seems to be really thick and hard but when I tilt the mould in the other direction for pouring I can see some wax underneath start to move. Maybe this is too long?

That is exactly right, you need to wait until the wax forms a skin but still moves underneath. The amount of time is entirely dependent upon the thickness of the layer. Check it a little sooner next time; it may be ready earlier than you thought.