First Attempt At Scented Rustics

kalamazoo

This is the first time I am posting a pic.:grin2: I used 1oz Gingerbread FO per 2 pounds of wax - which is half strength I suppose. I poured at 154F into room temperature moulds. Did not come out anywhere near as rustic as I thought they would. For the one on the right, I took a plastic pipette and squirted some wax inside the mould before I poured, it just made a weired pattern as you can see.:tongue2: Any comments or tips would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8237&stc=1&d=1158159018

post-3166-139458408874_thumb.jpg

tracey: thank for the comment

knlarson & sharyl55 : As I live in Iceland I use a straight paraffin blend wax from Sasol in Germany. I add 3TBS of stearin to 1pound of wax and 1/2oz FO (which is only 3%). I have not experimented with other additives just yet. The first time I made this pillar it was layered with browns and reddish colours. Did not work out so I melted it and got this colour:grin2: Below are some pics of rustics I had great success with but they are UNSCENTED! I noticed that everytime someone picked one up they sniffed it, so decided that I would have to try scenting them:tongue2: This candlemaking process is a lot harder than most people think it is and now the testing is only beginning with different size wicks etc. Well it is addictive and I sure won´t give up:)

post-3166-139458408895_thumb.jpg

post-3166-139458408897_thumb.jpg

post-3166-139458408899_thumb.jpg

I wish i could help all of you but i seem to have the same problems , but i have found pouring cooler has helped more for me. I cant seem to get a decent rustic with room temp molds so i set them in the fridge for a few minutes just before i pour, and i pour as cool as i can. I see so many beautiful rustics posted but neaver seem to be able to get them to look as good. I wish someone would write step by step directions and maybe that would help. I love the look of the rustics and dont want to give up trying. Kalamazoo your unscented rustics are perfect to me, so it seems like maybe the fo,s are killing the affect. Hopfully an expert will step in here and help. Lin

Drop your temp a notch to 150. I do not advocate chilling the mold. I find that the frost from the stearic tends to stick. The FO should not be a factor.

Your unscented ones look great! If you want the layers to appear less distinct, try this: after pouring the layer, pick up the mold and swish it around so that the wax splashes upwards onto the walls of the mold above the pour line. This will make the next layer blend. Here is a sample, there are seven or so layers in this one but you don't notice that:

EndlessLove.jpg

Lin: I have also tried putting my moulds in the freezer but as Eugenia pointed out in her thread the outer layer seemed to stick to the inside of the mould. I guess it must be the FO, so will have to experiment some more.

Eugenia: Thanks for posting the pic. I will try swirling the wax in the mould next time to get a different effect.

Sorry if i worded it wrong but i dont put them in the freezer just the fridge so their cooler. Eugenia do you pour in room temp molds? Guess i have to keep working on them to till i can get them right,lol. Yours are so perfect. Lin

I don't see a need to deep freeze or freeze molds either, but you can do it.

I think your pour temp was too hot and that's obvious by what you squirted into the mold, which cooled down some. Just play around, but change one thing at a time and see what that does for the result.