My Votives Always Suck!!

Fern

Why is it that I can make great pillars, containers and tarts...but I can't make a decent votive to save my life? My votives always end up with a dip in the middle after I do my second pour? I just can't settle for this dip in the middle...I'm too much of a perfectionist to resign myself to having it. I'm using 4045 and making mottled votives. I know it's got to be the temperature that I'm pouring at, but how much lower in temperature can I go, without losing the mottling, on the second pour, and without them breaking off on the top? I poured at about 180-185, let set up for about 30-45 minutes...had a nice deep sink hole but the sides did not come away from the mold yet. Did my repour at about the same temp. When I have poured cooler, you can either detect the line of the second pour and/or the repoured area will break off. What am I doing wrong? I hate making these damn things because I can never get a nice smooth top like Eugenia gets...I'm jealous of you girl! I get so frustrated with these that I give up on them for long periods of time. E...you use 4045H, don't you? Well, 4045 and 4045H are very, very similar...so could you run me through this process once again...I think you tried helping me once before and I can't find the notes for it....at least, I think it was you.

I've made several votives, and always get at least a little dip. I normally pour the same temp or a bit cooler. Sometimes I can see the line, most of the time not. I've never had one break though... I normally pour the first pour a bit lower than the top of the cups, I don't like that extra overhang...good luck!

I haven't used the wax that you are using for votive (only 4045H for pillars), but I was having the same problems as you for the longest time. EVERYONE of mine would end up with that darn nipple. After much advice from the board, I started pouring at 180, waiting roughly 1 1/2 -2hrs to do my repour and poured it at roughly 190-195. Have been getting beautiful votives every since. Not waiting longer to do the repour was the reason I was getting the nipples. The first pour hadn't had time to completely cool down and shrink as much as it was going to, therefore once I did my repour, the first pour was still in it's shrinking stage which effected the repour. I hope this makes sense. Just try waiting longer before doing your repour. HTH Portia

Thanks guys! Portia, I'm going to try it your way. :wink2: By the way, did you get the wicking I sent you?

My next question is...if you wait too long...like the next day...won't the wax start to pull away from the sides of the mold? If I do my repour, it's going to seep down the inside of the molds and look like crap.

Fern, I am a perfectionist too and find that longer is better for the repours. Frequently, I do the repour the next day, a bit hotter and often do a third pour within 1/2 -1 hour after the second for that last stubborn bit of nipple.

Edited to add: I am sloppy. I purposely overpour, with the votives on a clean baking sheet, and pop the spilled wax off with a spatula and right back into the pour pot.

HTH,

e

Fern: It just came today and "Thank You" so much!

I've never waited til the next day to do my votive repours, but do wait until the next day to pop them out of the molds. Even waiting til the next day to pop them out, they haven't released and I have to apply some pressure to get them to release from the sides. So, I don't see why you couldn't wait until the next day to repour.

I think you will find if you wait at least 1 1/2 hours to repour, you will find a difference in the look of your tops. HTH Portia

My next question is...if you wait too long...like the next day...won't the wax start to pull away from the sides of the mold? If I do my repour, it's going to seep down the inside of the molds and look like crap.

I've waited till the next day before, if it got too late and I couldn't finish it. I didn't have the seepage you mentioned. It's kind of hard to describe, but if you give it a try, it should work itself out.

My pillars suck but I've had fairly good luck with votives using 6228. I poke relief holes, wait at least 2 hrs then zap the tops with the heat gun before doing the re-pour usually at the same temp as original pour. 6228 sinks a lot. I've found it settles less if I poke the relief holes with a skinny bamboo skewer.

E: Thanks for the reply. I'm going to wait until they are completely set up and cooled before I do my repour and see how that turns out.

Portia: You're welcome. Hope this size works out for you.:wink2:

Sharyl: I've tried 6228, actually love this wax mixed with J50 to make my tarts, but got that unbelievable shrinkage when making votives. I think that wax shrinks more than any other I have tried. Since I knew less at the time about making votives, and had terrible results with this wax, I gave up on it. I may just give that wax another try.

To the rest of you who responded...thanks!