New to Soapmaking ... Where to Start?

savedbygrace06

Hi All!

I'm just starting out with researching soap making and I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give any suggestions? The owner of the store where I have my candles has been telling her customers that she's going to be having soap and bath and body items coming in next month and I have no idea where to start and what is the best to start with.

Any and all help is appreciated!

If you think you're going to fulfill her soap needs within the next month, you'll have to do melt and pour. But do start with the research into the basics of actual soapmaking if you think you want to go that way.

There are lots of different melt and pour bases that are an easy way to start.

I read the basics on safety and oil properties and used what I had on hand from my other B&B products. Then I played around on soapcalc and came up with several recipe's that I liked and jumped right in. Like so many others I was afraid of lye but I got over that quickly because there is no way around it. My neice makes M&P and I tease her and call her soap "cheater soap" but there are some very creative people on this board and that "cheater soap" is gorgeous!.

Oh and if you want soap that's ready right away you might want to consider Liquid Soap. It takes a little more time but it really is worth it. You can make shower gel or a creamy and thick body wash!I'm not the board expert on LS or anything but if you'd like some help I will be happy to be your guide or you can visit about.com and find the instructions. I've got 8 gallons of soap and over 10lbs that isn't diluted. I made my first batch in late July and I am addicted! There are also pictures in the gallery of the various stages of LS...take a look

It's much easier than is seems

Happy Soaping!

Thanks for the imput Hibiscus. I was planning originally on doing shower gel and lotion and body mist, but I was trying to cut down on cost a little bit too. So I decided to see what melt and pours I could get into. I did get some lotion to go along with them. Shower gel and bubble bath are the next thing I'm going to be looking into. However, bath salts are next on the agenda ... :wink2: .