Importing to the UK

Hi. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently investigating various suppliers for candlemaking supplies here in the UK. I've found reasonably priced suppliers for wax and jars.

I'm now looking for fragrance suppliers. I've got details of a few here in the UK but their prices.... :(. I know it's not their fault as they're imported from the US. They need to make a profit too.

My question is have any UK members here bought their FOs direct from the US. What were the shipping costs, delivery times and did you have to pay a lot in import duty? Is it worth getting them direct from US or is it best to buy them here?

Ruby

I buy all my fo's from the US. There are some great suppliers that ship over here. The Candle Source and Indiana Candle Supplies are 2 of the best for overseas shipping. Plus their oils are great! You will get charged import tax on anything over the value of £18, so just try to keep below that and you shouldn't have a problem there. You could also try looking in the classifieds here. I've dealt with some great people who have no proplem with shipping internationally.

So as as long as the order is below £18 I won't get hit with import duty. What about shipping? I'm just trying to weigh up the cost of ordering my FOs from either here in the UK or from the States. I don't want to compromise on quality though. Let's face it if you make scented candles they have to smell good.

Are there any other UK peeps here who import? What works best for you guys?

Ruby

Hi Ruby

I currently have over 300lbs of fragrance oil, which has all been imported into the UK from the USA. You can get away with buying 5lbs (5 16oz bottles) at a time, and the shipping cost on that should be between $40 to $45. As soon as you go over 5lbs, or if you buy really expensive oils then you'll pay customs. The customs is not so bad, but it's the extra £13 ($30) that parcel force slap on for their "administration fee" that's a killer.

Whilst I still import from the USA, and also buy from the classifieds here, I now have a relationship with an international fragrance oil manufacturer who have a facility in the UK. I have to buy 25kgs (approx 50 1lb bottles) of each oil otherwise they won't let me buy, so I am considering starting an FO supply website in the UK. I already supply quite a few people, and so far the oils have been the best I've ever had, and the people who buy from me agree wholeheartedly. Due to cash flow, I do not currently have a full-on relationship with the company as I just can't buy 50 bottles of each fragrance, but I am working on them to supply me with smaller quantities - not sure if I'll have any luck though!

They make oils to order also, so I have several blends and fragrances that you cannot buy anywhere else for love nor money.

If you're just after small quantities, perhaps 50ml bottles of several fragrances, just shout and I'll show you my list. I'd be willing to share some of my stash with you - I do this for Sally on this website also and charge £2 per 50ml bottle (around 2oz) plus postage.

Let me know if this helps at all,

Natasha

Hi Ruby

I too am from the UK (Wales) I found a few great suppliers -

Indianna Candle Supplies

Aztec International

The Candle Source

Jodys Soap & things

I used Candle Science for a while, but they only ship UPS and the charges were killing me!!

They are all very helpful and have great fragrance oils, I too have tons of fragrance oils, I also buy my wax from Aztec (must be mad paying shipping costs on wax!!) but I really like the IGI 4625 for my pillars.

NattyCat that would be great if you could get the Fragrance Oil Website for the Uk, Can you send me a list of the fragrance oils you have. :smiley2:

Gaynor

Hi Ruby

I too am from the UK (Wales) I found a few great suppliers -

Indianna Candle Supplies

Aztec International

The Candle Source

Jodys Soap & things

I used Candle Science for a while, but they only ship UPS and the charges were killing me!!

They are all very helpful and have great fragrance oils, I too have tons of fragrance oils, I also buy my wax from Aztec (must be mad paying shipping costs on wax!!) but I really like the IGI 4625 for my pillars.

NattyCat that would be great if you could get the Fragrance Oil Website for the Uk, Can you send me a list of the fragrance oils you have. :smiley2:

Gaynor

no problem - just send me your email address and I'll send it over.

I live in the UK to and have so far bought most of my scents on ebay from UK sellers! Some have not been great, but one seller isvery friendly and her scents smell lovely, and its not that expensive.Her ebay store is sensory perfections and she's got a website too (there's more selection, but its a bit more expensive) http://www.sensoryperfection.co.uk/store/Default.asp

Never tried getting any scents from US, though i may try when i need to restock!

:smiley2:

I live in the UK to and have so far bought most of my scents on ebay from UK sellers! Some have not been great, but one seller isvery friendly and her scents smell lovely, and its not that expensive.Her ebay store is sensory perfections and she's got a website too (there's more selection, but its a bit more expensive) http://www.sensoryperfection.co.uk/store/Default.asp

Never tried getting any scents from US, though i may try when i need to restock!

:smiley2:

Jo (sensory perfection) is a nice lady. She gets some of her oils from me and the rest from the same places in the USA as the rest of us and then splits & sells. It all depends on how convenient you want it to be. I sometimes buy from Jo when I just need a little or can't be bothered to buy from the USA or in large quantities myself - but it is always more cost effective if you go to the source and buy the oils yourself from the USA if you're serious about trying to make a profit on your candles etc.

Yeah, i like sensory perfection. She's the only person i've found who sells aniseed and liquorice FO, two scents which i adore!

I've been comparing loads of prices but at the mo i don't make enough candles to get through 200ml, let alone 50! I've emailed candlescience for a quote for some FO, so fingers crossed the postage isn't too much!

Sensory perfections does have a great range though, too many to chose from!

just out of curosity have you tried contacting any fragrance oil mfgs here? Here is one website http://www.infrin.com/newHome.htm they have a place listed in Germany, not sure if that helps you or not. And I wonder if France would have any oil mfgs, seems like they would since its the perfume capital.. I gotta tell ya if you could bit the bullet and risk a business venture sounds like you have a nice business going since the competiton is practically nil.

Yeah, i like sensory perfection. She's the only person i've found who sells aniseed and liquorice FO, two scents which i adore!

I've been comparing loads of prices but at the mo i don't make enough candles to get through 200ml, let alone 50! I've emailed candlescience for a quote for some FO, so fingers crossed the postage isn't too much!

I loved Candle Science, But as they only ship UPS you will get a £13 handling fee from UPS and Customs charges on top, that's if the order is over £18.00. Their oils are fantastic as is their customer service. I really liked their Lemon Chiffon, they ship them in glass bottles, which does add to the weight

I really do miss candle science :( but I could not order anything from them that would was £18 or under as you get charged on the shipping fees.

I really wish Peaks would ship to the UK

Well I just got my first batch of oils from Nattycat & I can't wait to go & play. Wish my tins from the co-op that was running on here would arrive too so I can fill them with my lovely new oils.

I use Sensory Perfection too, Jo's a lovely lady & very helpful.

Another F.O seller I found on Ebay is MidnightStar, Trina often runs special offers on her 50ml oils & is also very friendly & helpful.

Sally

Here's an idea for you - "Black Mint" 50% licorice and 50% peppermint. It's an amazing fragrance and one of my best sellers.

Nat

Well I just got my first batch of oils from Nattycat & I can't wait to go & play. Wish my tins from the co-op that was running on here would arrive too so I can fill them with my lovely new oils.

I use Sensory Perfection too, Jo's a lovely lady & very helpful.

Another F.O seller I found on Ebay is MidnightStar, Trina often runs special offers on her 50ml oils & is also very friendly & helpful.

Sally

well, when I get back from hols I'll send you sniffies of my new ones: Dewberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, Riceflower & Shea, tangerine & pink grapefruit and Hershey's White Chocolate!

Thanks for those two eBay sellers. I had heard of Scensory Perfection. I wasn't too sure whether her scents were good or not. Sometimes you take your chances with eBay sellers. By the feedback I've checked out, they seem pretty kosher. Just need to check out which US suppliers will ship to the UK. I take it that not all of them do.

Oh well, more checking out to do and more feasibility calculations. New business startups - who'd have them, eh? Still it's all good fun, I think?

Ruby