Ernesto Pillars Burning, Have ?

sharyl55

After two 3 hr burns I pulled the wicks and went down a size. the flames were just to big. This picture is at the end of a 3 hr burn with the smaller wick. My question is why is the flame so much bigger in the sq. pillar vs the round pillar. Both are 3" in diameter. Used the same batch of wax to make both. Pour at the same time, same temp, etc. I realize the star will have a different burn. Just curious. I have so much trouble wicking and was hoping the same wick would work for the round and sq. pillars.

post-195-13945840831_thumb.jpg

Babe, that is why I am so confused - of course when it comes to wicking it doesn't take much to confuse me. I trimmed both wicks to 1/4" before burning using my handy dandy wick trimmer. Tested side by side - no fan or open window. No spillage of wax with either one. Both are 3" in diameter. Actually the sq. one has more wax by wt. I just would have expected the flame to be smaller on the sq. pillar not bigger.

Made another set using IGI 1246. Too ugly to post. Having the same results. Flame on the sq. pillar is larger than the flame on the round pillar. Maybe I should just put any molds that aren't round up for sale in the classifieds. LOL

You wouldn't happen to be using RRD wicks in those would you? I've found that they seem to burn quite high and require frequent trimming. Just wondered about that. They burn nice and hot, which I like, but I always have to watch those so they don't get too high. I make square pillars as well and my quess is that because a round pillar, once hugged, will burn down very evenly while maintaining a fairly consistent size flame. I think with the square or star pillars, because you cannot hug this shape candle, there is more air flow to center of the candle which causes the flame to rise higher. The round pillar has consistent air flow because of it's shape, the square and star has four points, or five with the star, that don't melt down with it or do...but very, very slowly, which leaves space inbetween the points to suck air into the center of the candle itself...thus the higher flame. This has been my observation...and I could be totally wrong...but it's my guess anyway.:)

Edited to add: By the way...your candles look very nice and are burning beautifully.

Fern, I am testing ECO 6 twisted wicks in these pillars. Haven't hugged the round pillar yet. I used Eugenia's recipe for a hug free pillar. Testing to see I I can get it to work.

Top, you are right, the round had a concave top and the sq. had a flat top. I'm such a pillar newbie I didn't know the top config would affect the flame height. Thanks

Top, you are right, the round had a concave top and the sq. had a flat top. I'm such a pillar newbie I didn't know the top config would affect the flame height. Thanks
I've tested that a lot of times and it makes a pretty big difference.

If I used flat topped molds on a regular basis I'd trim the wick a little bit shorter than usual for the first burn. If you can avoid that tall flame at the very beginning they might burn more similarly after that.

Looks like you're doing well with the pillars. Good luck and have fun.