Zinc Series Wicks??

I have searched through here but can't find my answer. I've also emailed the support section of CandleScience. No response yet.

What do the three numbers mean? I bought the sample kit from CS, but have no clue what these numbers mean. On some of the other types of wicks, I can figure what it means to wick up or wick down (or at least I think so). But I'm totally in the dark about 51-24-18Z, etc.

While I'm at it, I don't understand the difference between LX, CD, HTP, RRD. I read the descriptions on some of the websites. What I mean is, what do these letters stand for?

That website had more info, but I'm still confused. Here's the reply from CS:

Hello,

The only thing that is important with the wick numbers is that the larger the number is the larger the wick. Other than that the wick numbers do not contain any useful info.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or are having trouble finding the correct wick size.

Thanks,

Mike S.

CandleScience Support

tel. 1-888-266-3916

email: support@candlescience.com

web: www.candlescience.com

I'm wondering which number he's talking about.

Here is the info on the 3 nos. Can't remember what web site I got it from 3 yrs ago.

Have you ever wondered what all those wick numbers mean? Wicks have from 1 to 5 numbers which actually have meaning even to the beginning candlemaker. For example, we sell wicks with a series of 3 numbers and a "Z" at the end. Each wick will create a different flame height, meltpool and rate of wax consumption.

The first number tells you the wick size. The size of the wick is determined by how many spools of yarn were used to make the wick. The higher the number, the larger the wick. Hence, the larger the meltpool (which can mean better fragrance throw), and usually the higher the wax consumption.

The second number indicates the speed at which the wick was sent through the braiding machine. The higher the number, the faster the speed, the tighter the braid. The tighter the braid, the less fuel consumption.

The third number/ last number is a code for the temperature of the wax as the wick is fed through the gears of the braiding machine.. This temperature varies according to the previous numbers.

The last letter is as follows:

Z=Zinc Core

P=Paper Core

C=Cotton Core

H=Hemp

HTH

Not necessarily, it depends upon the viscosity* of the wax you are using it in. The 32 is more tightly woven - so it theoretically should draw up less wax than the 24. That is what I don't understand though - the ROC on the grid for the 32 is higher than the 24.

*Soy and beeswax are more viscous than paraffin, so they would need a "hotter" wick - be that done by the "first number" or the "second number". For example, the square braids - the ones with the /0 are the same as the ones without - its just the BRAIDING is looser on the non/0 ones so they feel thicker.

Edit: spelling :)