Pin holes everywhere!!!

I made my first candle this weekend and it has pin holes everywhere and tiny bubbles that didn't quite make it to the surface. (I'm going to post pics in the gallery when I get my camera back from my sister) I made it with 1lb Yaley wax from Michael's, 1t Vybar 103, dye block and 1oz Candy Corn FO from Bitter Creek.

I heated my wax to 190 then added color and FO. I let it cool to 155 (wanted to make a rustic) and poured a little in the mold (didn't chill mold), sloshed it around and then poured in the rest. I let it cool on the counter at room temp.

I've read that pouring too hot can leave pin holes but I poured cold so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,

Kim

I'm a newbie myself, so this might not be worth anything. My first wax was from Michaels and Hobby Lobby. The results were awful looking candles no matter what temp I poured or what I added. I got referred to Peaks and Millcreek online, ordered different kinds of sample waxes, and finally I was able to make a few candles that actually came out perfect. In my opinion... it's the wax not you.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I was wondering if it might be the wax. Hopefully I can get some better wax on order from BCN this week. I bought this from Michael's to tide me over. Top - I'll try pouring at a little higher temp to see if it helps...Thanks! :D

Pinholes are going to be common in rustics. The trick is spotting them and you can generally see them just looking down the side of your mold. You can dislodge with a skewer or even a heat gun without affecting the overall appearance. It is possible.

When you slosh, you're going to trap air bubbles in there as well.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I was wondering if it might be the wax. Hopefully I can get some better wax on order from BCN this week. I bought this from Michael's to tide me over. Top - I'll try pouring at a little higher temp to see if it helps...Thanks! :D
Hope it works out. Even though not too many people are using the Yaley Premium around here, it's perfectly good wax as far as I know. It's just that most people are using 138-143 MP paraffins for the rustics and the Yaley is 148. That's why I'm thinking you might just need to pour a little warmer. I remember flutterbye used to use this wax for rustics, so she might have a tip or two for you.

Scented...Will the heat gun melt the rustic look off?

Not if you use it just long enough to release the bubbles. In other words don't aim and try to make the mold glow. It might take some practice, but it works. And if you think you heated too long, just swirl a little.

Not if you use it just long enough to release the bubbles. In other words don't aim and try to make the mold glow. It might take some practice, but it works. And if you think you heated too long, just swirl a little.

Thanks so much...I'll give it a try. Now I just have to train my eyes to see those tiny bubbles!! :grin2: