Laws and Regulations? Education?

JenniferK

I am really new to the idea of selling my candles and soaps and am wondering... are there and laws, rules, or regulations regarding the creation, manufacture, and sale of candles and soaps??? I come from the medical feild here in the USA where everything you do, say and think is heavily regulated... so I am a bit gun shy whenever I venture into new territory.

Are there any licensing issues or training and educations requirements I need to be aware of???

I am sure I will need a sales license... but other than that I need info and help.

Thanks!!!

Jen K

If you're just going to sell the candles at local craft fairs you don't have to have any kind of license unless you're going to charge tax. Then you'll need a tax exempt number. For soaps and stuff you'll have to have the long drawn out name for all your ingredients and you'll have to list them all on the label with some kind of warning saying if you have any irritation discontinue use. Look in the archives for health. Goodluck!:D

If you're just going to sell the candles at local craft fairs you don't have to have any kind of license unless you're going to charge tax. Then you'll need a tax exempt number.

Not exactly. A business license and Tax Id are required for many craft shows. You need to charge the tax, and remit it to your state. You are not tax exempt. A tax ID is required for ordering from some companies, and a resale certificate will exempt you from paying tax for items that you'll be selling (and collecting the tax on) so that the tax is not paid twice for the same items.

e

It really depends on your state. In my state individuals without a permanent retail location are "discourage" from getting a sales tax number by the high deposit required. Promotors of shows are required to have a sales tax number, collect from vendors and submit the collected taxes. Vendors are required to submit a statement of total sales along with the tax collected. If you get reported for non compliance the fine is more than enough to get your attention. Check on the regulations for your state.

Mad

Are there any educations...i.e. degrees or certifications... or specific trainings one has to possess to make and/or sell candles and soaps???[/quote]

Research, more research....then

Testing Testing and Testing.

There is no State Certificate to show your customers.....just a well made candle that looks good, burns good (minus the soot and hangups) and smells awesome.

That is how your customers will tell you are a great chandler.

Not exactly. A business license and Tax Id are required for many craft shows. You need to charge the tax, and remit it to your state. You are not tax exempt. A tax ID is required for ordering from some companies, and a resale certificate will exempt you from paying tax for items that you'll be selling (and collecting the tax on) so that the tax is not paid twice for the same items.

e

Yep to what E said.

Check with your state about what you need. As one of your neighboring states, we were limited to two shows. The third would open us up to other things all falling under being a business.