Soap Production Question...Bars per day turnout?

michelleB

Hello,

I'm just curious (this doesn't have to be scientific)...how many soaps/bars per day can most of you produce on a regular daily basis? I mean, of those who have a steady business selling soaps, whether wholesale or retail, what's your max capacity as far as what you're able to turn-out in a day's time?

I haven't really pushed myself to the limits yet to see how much I can squeeze in if working 'round the clock for a full day, but I'd guess 50-75 bars per day would be the most I could do because of my limited number of molds to use & the sizes that they are. What about you?

I'm about the same place as AJ is right now - I normally soap 6-8 batches at a time, or 126-168 bars. That's in 4 hrs, so conceivably if I soaped for a workday of 8 hrs, I should be turning out about 336 bars. Lining the mold is easy, soaping is quick, but I wouldn't want to have to cut 300+ bars a day! Thats the sucky part of soaping to me.

I've got 6 4# log molds, and 2 10# slab molds. So per day I can get 102 log cut and 56 slab cut bars. DH just made me 4 new logs - they're *so* nice to use cuz my other 2 have warped a bit and leak - I've changed the design so only one end comes off - the rest are screwed together tightly. The old ones had the sides on hinges, and 2 ends that came off.

I have a soap day and do all my soaping on it. (Wednesday)

Each batch makes 150 bars, I can do 6 batches. I have had to do more before, but I am comfortable with 6. I have 10 molds, each mold does 50 bars.

I have had them forever. We made them years ago when we started making soap. (24 years ago) I now have long skinny ones for my rebatches, cause i don't normally make 50 bars of scented soap.

Wow!! That's a lot of soap all of you make!!I'm a very small time soaping newbie. I can't even imagine how much space you must need to cure all that soap. How I would love to be locked in a room full of curing soaps!! I think I better get busy soaping!!:D

I need to get myself more log molds....How many does everyone else have?

I've got (8) 7.5# log molds now. Tried using a slab mold in the beginning because I love the swirls you can get, but I could never get the bars cut to my liking (liking=straight..lol), so log molds it is for me. I'm lucky in that my DH makes all my stuff for me, so if I need new..I just send him out to his workshop. Poor DH, lol, I'm like Goldilocks.. I've got 4 or 5 molds he made that weren't "just right".. too long, too short, not tall enuf.. ahh, now we're just right! Those molds just sit, I use them on occasion to tilt pillars :)

I use both logs and slab molds because I like to vary the look of my soaps and keep things interesting looking. Can't beat logs for confetti soap, and can't beat slabs for interesting textured tops. I can swirl with either one, but again, different looks with different molds. Logs are great for interior ITP swirls; slabs are great for dramatic ITM top swirls. Just my take on the matter. :wink2:

Hmmmm, serious soap mold envy happening here:embarasse

I have 1- 4 lb log mold and a 18 bar Kelsei on the way (I hope)

I maybe only make a log of soap a week so far, just a hobby on the soaps.....yup I know....it is turning more into an obsession.:D

I do about 2 4-lb batches a week. I am totally small time. I have 2 3 lb log molds that someone gave me from Sweet Prairie. However, I also have my eye on the 16 Bar Misty Creeks. I just love their soap cutter. I might get 2 of the 16 Bar molds instead of the 32 Bar mold.

I have 3 18-bar slab molds from Brambleberry. I also have individual disposable molds.... 12,000 to be exact. The individual bars I box for wholesale accounts. The slab bars I sell at market and Christmas shows naked and wrap when purchased.

I make at least 150# a week.... in a good week about 250#.

Mind you that is not year round. I slow down a bit in Jan, Feb. and March.

We only use 2lb molds, 25 of them! My MIL makes 50lbs a day from 7am to Noon, three times a week. After soap production she goes on to other things, but I am pretty adamant about the 5 hours of soap a day so we don't get behind. That is roughly 225 bars a day.

Look at you working that woman:laugh2: I just had an image of you with a whip, slamming it down everytime she takes a break, screaming "MORE SOAP!"