tube/loaf mold?

idacandlelady

Just wondering if anyone has used and had any luck with a pampered chef tube/loaf mold? How are you supposed to seal this? I have made 2 batches in this and both of them ran right out the bottom during the oven cure. The second batch I used press n seal on the end but it still all came out. What am I doing wrong? Since these were my first 2 batches I've done I am very frustrated. Please Help! TIA

I've been wondering the same thing.

I've read recommendaitons for plugging the end of pvc, but because these are not round (at least the ones I have aren't), the only thing I can think of is to put some M&P in the bottom.

But a quesiton for you - (assuming that SOME soap stayed in the tube) did the soap have a big mark from the seam?

This batch that I did last night separated also so no there isn't enough to tell a seam. The last batch I didn't notice a mark from the seam but my mold is the heart shaped one so I think the seam is on the top where the crevice is for the heart. Does that make sense?

Maybe wrap the end the best you can with whatever worked best so far. Then set it on end on a CHILLED plate and pour some melted M&P CAREFULLY to make a layer on the bottom. I think it would harden up pretty quickly and form a sort of "plug". Once it's totally set you can pour your CP soap in.

But I've never tried it.

Maybe that's a good project for me today...

It seams that quite a few people use these, I'm kinda wondering how now. I just realized something, I think they are aluminum! I discovered this the hard way. After I got all of the wasted batch out I had nasty black blotches all over the inside of the mold and it smelled really bad. Those of you that use these how do you do it?:confused: Do you line it with something, or maybe it was my bad batch that caused this? Anyone know?

Certainly sounds like something is going on! The Pampered Chef web site says the one they sell now is made of "tinned steel" whatever that means.

I used an aluminum cookie sheet to cover some soaps and the raw soap got on the aluminum - didn't notice a problem wiht the bits of soap (that I recall) but the cookie sheet got weird streaks everywhere the soap touched it - and lost its shine there.

I was even thinking some of that flower arranging foam stuff - just cram the end of the mold down onto it, but don't know if it's heat proof.

That stuff is pretty tough it might work. I use it for my beaded flower arrangements of course they never get hot like soap:laugh2: I'm thinking of using these molds for candles. I've already drilled a hole in a few of the tops for the wick.

I do MP right now in PVC pipe and have had great success using press n seal at the end of the pipe secured by a couple of rubber bands. Because it's sticky and stretchy it seems to cling to the pipe very well and makes for a nice clean end piece. Once the soap is poured into the tube, it does not get picked up and moved somewhere....it stays put until it has solidified. If you were needing to move it, I would put it on a cookie sheet (or something that you can transport it on) prior to pouring.