Questions - Is this your recipe??

Funky Monkey

So sorry all.. cannot remember who posted this.. AND I've search for 10+ mins.. can't find it..

Recipe is:

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 oz aloe vera

3 tablespoons fo

6 tsp castor oil

this product is great, all natural (well except the fo but we're not telling on you), easy to find ingredients and doesn't need a preservative either

have fun, you can make it this morning and sell it this afternoon

- I have a few questions about this recipe. What the heck is it?? I thought it would be a heavy lotion but it is REALLY REALLY greasy! Also, I only used 1 tbsp of Cucumber Melon FO in it and the smell is KILLING me. I cannot imagine 3. Just wondering if anyone can help out with this one.

Thanks!

FM

Oh no.. it's not solid.. at least MINE isn't soild. I'm concerned with the amt of fo. I used cm. I was told by my allergist that I shouldn't use CM because it will set off my allergies. Let me tell you... boy was he right! I'm dying in here and I only used 1/3 of the amount it called for. :undecided

If you can find the original recipe, I'd love to see it. If I need to add this to something, that would rock too. Just curious as to what the heck it is.

Oh dear. That recipe is the Great Recipe from the Dish which is meant as a total joke. Hence why you really really really need to have done your research, etc before delving into making your own creations. Through research you would know that yes, in fact, that is way too much and you would have never attempted that recipe.

The Great Recipe was started as a joke because someone came to the Dish, took all the recipes, and flounced away with some pretty awful remarks.

I'm sorry that you didn't get the joke and you made the product and used it on yourself but it's a perfect learning opportunity for you to do some research and learn how to formulate your own safe recipes.

Jen

When I first read over there I thought it might be a joke, then wasn't sure, then as I read on I got pretty darned sure it was~ But it took me a while to read enough to be really really sure. The thread is massive, and the first part isn't so obvious.

and at least it's moisturizing!!!

Well now.. don't I feel so stupid now. :undecided I was hoping that coming into a new forum that I would be able to take a recipe at face value. Being new to B&B thing, I didn't think I would need to question some of the "old-timers." ....

How very sad that I've wasted what little ingredients I had on hand AND caused a hugh allergic reaction. I didn't really have anywhere to "research" being that I am new to this all. I'll be much more hesistant to try anything new now. :embarasse

And I just realized that I'm making a huge assumption that you haven't done your research. Perhaps you have and I'm sorry if I assumed something that's incorrect.

There are just too many people that want to make a quick buck without putting in the time and investment that a lot of us have. I'm not saying you're one of them....it's just something that people are pretty cautious about.

Jen

And I just realized that I'm making a huge assumption that you haven't done your research. Perhaps you have and I'm sorry if I assumed something that's incorrect.

There are just too many people that want to make a quick buck without putting in the time and investment that a lot of us have. I'm not saying you're one of them....it's just something that people are pretty cautious about.

Jen

No offense taken Jen. I wasn't interested in making money on it..just wanted to see what it made. I have limited supply at the moment so I'm trying to see what I can make with what I have on hand. Evidently, this was NOT the recipe for me to try. O'well.

I posted as you were...

FM - here and the Dish (and other places as well) are chock full of research. You just have to put in the time to do it. Send me a pm if you wish and I can get you started. I'm firefliesandpixies on the Dish if you'd like to utilize me there as well. I'm not saying that I'm going to answer all your questions (or that you'd want me to!) but I can point you in some proper directions.

We all started someplace. Don't feel stupid. Take is as a learning experience...k?

Jen

Well now.. don't I feel so stupid now. :undecided I was hoping that coming into a new forum that I would be able to take a recipe at face value. Being new to B&B thing, I didn't think I would need to question some of the "old-timers." ....

How very sad that I've wasted what little ingredients I had on hand AND caused a hugh allergic reaction. I didn't really have anywhere to "research" being that I am new to this all. I'll be much more hesistant to try anything new now. :embarasse

First, it was from another forum, don't get mad at us,

Second, you can do a TON of research right here. Plus there is an awful lot of info on the supplier web sites as well, often with suggested recipes. There is no lack of information available to those with a computer (and if you don't have much access to one check your local library).

Beyond this, if your dr told you to stay away from CM, don't you think it would have been a good idea to stay away from it? It's not our fault you had an allergic reaction to something you knew you were allergic to.

I'm sorry you missed the joke behind it, like I said it took me a while to get it too.

First, it was from another forum, don't get mad at us,

Second, you can do a TON of research right here. Plus there is an awful lot of info on the supplier web sites as well, often with suggested recipes. There is no lack of information available to those with a computer (and if you don't have much access to one check your local library).

Beyond this, if your dr told you to stay away from CM, don't you think it would have been a good idea to stay away from it? It's not our fault you had an allergic reaction to something you knew you were allergic to.

I'm sorry you missed the joke behind it, like I said it took me a while to get it too.

Damn.. dirt in an open wound. I wasn't MAD at you guys... I just said it sucks that people would think that's funny. And it is hard to do research when you don't know what you are looking for. Like I said.. I am NEW to the forum. 'Nuff said.

I posted as you were...

FM - here and the Dish (and other places as well) are chock full of research. You just have to put in the time to do it. Send me a pm if you wish and I can get you started. I'm firefliesandpixies on the Dish if you'd like to utilize me there as well. I'm not saying that I'm going to answer all your questions (or that you'd want me to!) but I can point you in some proper directions.

We all started someplace. Don't feel stupid. Take is as a learning experience...k?

Jen

Thanks Jen. I'll take you up on that offer sometime :) And yes, it was a learning experience. I am trying to learn what goes with what to make what - if that makes any sense. I have three daughters and would LOVE to save some money and have fun making things with them. I'll hit ya up with some questions a bit later.

FM

Please do! B&B is fun and addicting and it's wonderful to be able to pamper yourself and others with the creations *you* made. Send me a pm at the Dish when it's back up and we'll get you going in the right direction. It seems like you do want to learn and that's awesome! There are some great simple recipes that allow you to learn and experiment without too much going awry!

Shake it off. We all started somewhere.

Jen

Please do! B&B is fun and addicting and it's wonderful to be able to pamper yourself and others with the creations *you* made. Send me a pm at the Dish when it's back up and we'll get you going in the right direction. It seems like you do want to learn and that's awesome! There are some great simple recipes that allow you to learn and experiment without too much going awry!

Shake it off. We all started somewhere.

Jen

Thanks Jen.. That is exactly what I needed :) A little encourgement goes a long way.

Ginger

Everytime I see that recipe it kind of irks me in that somebody new will try to make it and waste the supplies they have on hand. Just wish that thread would die over there but it does keep coming to the top ever so often.

Sorry you wasted your ingredients ... just maybe a good lesson we all learn and learn again.

I know it taught me a lesson reading through this thread. I haven't tried a recipe without reading every little word I could find, but I can certainly see why it could happen. I, too, am just now developing an inventory of ingredients to make my own things and frequently evaluate trying any recipes I come across that I have the ingredients for. At least this reminds me that all the time I've put in reading is worth it!

Thank you. I'm still looking at recipes at every opportunity. I haven't gotten into trying the soapcalc I've been reading about. I will post an ISO in the classifieds as soon as I figure out what the hell I'm doing or want to do! I, too, have become bored with m&p and inspired by the pic of the cp. I think I've read over that tutorial 20 times! But I'm still reading, reading, about what scents and from where that just don't work well with cp! I'm reading more now than I ever did in grad school.

Yeah... I learned a big lesson. O'well. I bought some new stuff tonight (citric acid and vanilla fo) so I KNOW I can make bath bombs. Tried and True!

I honestly had no idea that was a bad recipe. I read through the thread - to an extent - it is about 8 pages long! I'll be a bit more inquisitive on my next recipe. I have learned one thing - FO, crisco and aloe vera doesn't make much of anything other than a greasy mess! AND - if you are allergic to a scent, list to your allergist - that was TOTALLY all me! :grin2:

So... next recipe!

Yeah... I learned a big lesson. O'well. I bought some new stuff tonight (citric acid and vanilla fo) so I KNOW I can make bath bombs. Tried and True!

I honestly had no idea that was a bad recipe. I read through the thread - to an extent - it is about 8 pages long! I'll be a bit more inquisitive on my next recipe. I have learned one thing - FO, crisco and aloe vera doesn't make much of anything other than a greasy mess! AND - if you are allergic to a scent, list to your allergist - that was TOTALLY all me! :grin2:

So... next recipe!

Um... 32 pages long.. the board is finally up.. NOW I get it... boy.. hindsight