OK..now what?

pamperme

And, if you are going to wait, work on that credit. It can be done. I went through a bankruptcy in 2002, and very soon after I was able to get a credit card and start building credit. The rate sucked, but after working in fianance for a few years, I understood this was the way to start. Since then, I have bought a car, unsecured and been approved for a mortgage. You can do it, you just have to start at the low end. The loan through your bank is an excellent idea. Start there, pay it back and that will definitely help.

Just read the terms of the "hard luck" credit cards carefully. Cards like Capital One will give you a $200.00 credit increase and charge you $100.00 for it, ending up in higher payments. Also, check the annual fees, start up charges etc.

Store credit is great if it is something you need anyway. I am having financial trouble (lein on my house) so but Sam's Club gave me $600.00 credit on my membership card. Came out of the blue, the cashier said I qualified and had to ask her again what she said!!!

So yes it can be done, but credit card companies want to see that after bad credit you are now able to make payments.

I think you made the right decision, to wait because now you can step back and start planning to have all the items you wanted in the beginning to be in your shop, maybe even ALL the FOs you had to trim down.

Well hubby and I talked about it..and if we are going to do this..we are going to do it right and if that means waiting until holiday season 2007..so be it..we don't want the downtown space..we want to be either in the busiest part of town or the main drag..soooo unless angle investor can do the whole amount before October we are not going to do it now.

gonna work on some pamper me parties ..and see about that giant flea market on the weekends..there is also a place downtown that is a consignment type biz for $10 a month ..plus 10% commission..can't beat that...plus it is for a non profit organization...they have a real cute shop...but not a ton of traffic..so that one is a big maybe...it is just real hard to work a full time job and have two small children plus do this..I feel like I am neglecting them.

I am going to get some stock madeup and take a stab at that flea market...hey if worse comes to worse..I am only out $130 right for a whole month...I gotta make at least that much in a months time :undecided

Flea Markets may not be in your best intrest. These usually have cheap stuff and a lot of junk. I'm sure your products are much higher priced than other things sold there. Also this may not be the type of people you want to market to. Craft shows yes but flea markets I don't think so, but your area may be different. This is just from my areas flea markets.

Oh girl, you sound like me my first year.

I suggest that you sit at home and build your client base while having no overhead during the holidays so you can save it up. Who knows? Maybe next year you won't even need a loan.

It worked for me - I only borrowed money for my business when it was already 3 years old, established and had many many customers.

Things can change and believe me when I say that things also happen for a reason.

Having the clientele is really important. I was always told it takes at least 3-5 years for a start up business to start showing a profit and I know it is true I started back in 1999 and for the past 10 months I have been consistently making $1000.00-1500.00 a month making candles at home and selling only wholesale. It isn't very much money, but I am so happy that I have enough to pay for my supplies and still have extra to save without having to use my hubbys paycheck. It is a relief to have a business that is finally supporting itself. Setting goals is a plus.

ok...guess what..I am going to the flea market..we went there today.and well it is not really like a flea market..it is more of an indoor craft mall..VERY NICE! could not belive it..so I am taking them a check wednesday for my sept rent for a 20x10 space..and can actually do my lotion bar in it as well..yippy..I will be able to do just about anything in there but make candles.

they have alot of good vendors in there even a brial supply place :shocked2:

and this overhead is wayyyyyyy lower than a store..and another plus is the owner was my previous boss from a furniture store I worked at..I talked to her about it for 25 mintues..and the customer service desk lady said today alone she has had two people ask for handmade bath & body stuff..yippy...

only a coulple candle people and they were carrying other peoples candles not their own.. PLUS I will be getting in during the holiday season...and my spot is in a prime location..right by the food court and customer service desk..:D

I thought the same thing you all did about flea markets but this is not your ordinary one..and I only have to work it two days a week.

I am starting to make stuff now to fill up the space so I will be ready in two weeks to go in and set up.

I am so excited I could not even eat my dinner.

That is so cool!!! Things have a way of working out. I think the key is if you are there every week, you will get a following. Also, when you open your store, you will have a larger customer base. This will also give you a chance to play a little with your lotion bar and see what works and what doesn't and then you can get it set in your mind what you exactly want when you open the store!

That's really great!!! Nice how things can get better!!

Oh, and NancyJo, I worked for credit card companies for years. Of coure you have to read the offer of credit before you take it. And, I worked at Capital One, and never had a fee like that for a limit increase LOL. But I think I know who you are referring to.

That sounds like the greatest option right now! Congratulations! What days is the market open? If its open more than two days...how do they sell your stuff?

it is only one Saturday and Sunday 9-5..which is fine cause I can keep my regular full time job right now...unti I make or close to what I make at my job.. Wednesday is stock day..they are open 11-7 for vendors only..so I might need to ask to leave 2 hours early on Wednesdays but I can make it up by taking 1/2 hour lunches instead of hour ones.

I spent 4 hours yesterday while I was doing laundry..making stuff..I got all my salts, milk bath and body sprays made up..and have a few extra sprays unscented but bottled for the lotion bar already..priced some stuff and printed out my shirt logos.. going to iron those on tonight. Going to do a vista print order as well you know when they send you the try us free things..and get some post cards/brochures and biz cards with the flea market on them..

I am also going to do an order online and pick up at the booth option on my site. Lots to do this week while on my lunch ..lol..plus I have to get my Ohio Transite license..but I think I can get that at the court house..going to call today.

I kept saying I was going to go over there..and just never did..wish I would have done it sooner..but maybe this is the right time for it.

I would also advise against fleamarkets. In my experience, what I've seen is a lot of Avon reps and even Mary Kaye sell there, plus you frequently have people selling that drug store buy-out crap all jumbled up in boxes for $1 to $2 ea.

Mary Kay people arent allowed to sell there- against their agreements, but we know every company has its crooks.

I think going into a flea market type surrounding is going to cheapen your product. I personally would do what you are doing out of your house and then when you have the money, doing what you need to do.

Well someone is setting up a mary kay booth..lol..and there is an avon one that does very well.. I talked to the owner since I used to work for her to get a feel for how everything goes.

I don't think it will cheapen my products..if a brial shop can set up there(and double her business..and only work two days..) and that is usually supposed to be a first class venue..then mine should do fine..this place is not all junked up...it is really nice..there are alot of good vendors there..and a nice food court..crafters..even a place that sells handmade fudge..fresh bread etc...charm bracelets etc..and I looked at the prices and they are normal..so I should fit right in..you do have your few junk spots but they are very neat and clean..not junk like you think.:wink2:

Like I said it is more like a craft mall than a flea market.. not what I was expecting when I went in there. I am going to give it a whirl..what is the worse that could happen..I am out one months rent($230)..for a double space.....it is not that much money.. you all probably pay more than that for one weekend at a market or fair.

It sounds like a good place to try out. Unfortunately, craftmalls around here are quickly dying out. I think it's because people stopped putting true "crafts" in them. The places were filled with a bunch of imported resin junk, or somebody's homemade peach colored ruffled toilet lid covers with an extra row of polyester lace around the edges.

It sounds like yours has a lot more going for it with a food court and all; plus, you'd think a b&b booth would be a good complement for the bridal shop.

I'm excited for you. I hope you'll take some pics and update us with info as you progress.

Hey Rachel, since there is a bridal shop there, I would advise you making little bridal gifts and table favors - even if it is for show. You wouldn't believe the money you can make with those. I don't sell them on my site, but I distribute a wedding flyer to a local bridal shop and get tons of business during the wedding season!

Little candles with custom labels fly out the door like you wouldn't believe!!

somebody's homemade peach colored ruffled toilet lid covers with an extra row of polyester lace around the edges.

ROFLMAO....oh my gosh..I have not seen one of those in years..THANK GOD!:laugh2: :laugh2:

Hey Rachel, since there is a bridal shop there, I would advise you making little bridal gifts and table favors - even if it is for show. You wouldn't believe the money you can make with those. I don't sell them on my site, but I distribute a wedding flyer to a local bridal shop and get tons of business during the wedding season!

Little candles with custom labels fly out the door like you wouldn't believe!!

Got it covered..going to do a Favor table..with MP soap for showers, salts, votives with custom labels..I have one of those little round tables with glass topper on it..I am going to use that.. right now as far as furniture displays I have to buy is white paint and peg board brackets to put shelves up...I am using furniture from home for displays ..plus the 3 displays I have at home..should cover the space..I also have a large buffet I am going to use as my counter.. going to hang black fabric around the back of it..and put the drawers towards me for storage...not that I am planning on being behind it much..I would rather be out on the sales floor area around my booth talking to potential customers.:wink2: ..with samples in hand.:wink2: :wink2:

Speaking from experience on the custom label front...

Only offer them 3 kinds of fonts and 3 kinds of background pics.

Anymore and you will have a suicidal bride on your hands!!!! ;)

hmmm..Bridezilla maybe.

thinking one option for baby...two for bride/anniversary..one for graduation.