Help! My candles have CRATERS!Big Ones!

Hi folks,

I just pored the new Golden Brands 444 soy wax in 8oz jelly jars that you get at Big Lots . I heated to around 170 took it off added liquid dye. I then let it cool to 160 and added my FO. I pored this batch at 110 degrees and left them alone. When I came back to check in an hour I noticed craters that look like big earthquake fault lines and sinkholes sort of close to the edge. Of course I didnt save any extra wax. This was one pound of wax and 1 ounce of FO.

I then made another batch heating to 170 again , pored FO at 160 and let cool to 125 degrees. I then pored at 125. This was 2 pounds of wax and 3 ounces of FO.

I got the same craters and fault lines in this batch only closer to the wick.

This is supposed to be the new blend of 444 ,, it is a pretty smooth top though except for the holes. I talked to Melisa and Soycandle.com and shes not sure either.

Any one out there have any ideas or helpful hints?

I would really appreciate any help especially since I was having so much fun using that cheap soy wax I got from Ebay , now I have the good wax and its problem city. I just pored a second time on the second batch since I saved some in case of the problem happening again. So im waiting to see if that solves it.

Thanks again for reading my rambling:smiley2:

John

I don't know anything about this wax, but the sink hole near the wick is common as alot of waxes shrink when cooling. Sounds like you need to save wax for a re-pour / top off to smooth out the tops.

If it's not to bad of a sink, then you can use a heat gun to flatten out the top. With the heat gun you may have a problem with melting the wax off the wick, which is not a problem, but some people don't like the look of it.

I haven't poured any of the new 444 with wicks, but I had heated to 185, added FO at 175, poured at 150. The tops were smooth but had a dimple. I poked and heat gunned. It didn't appear to have any air pockets. Sometimes when I was using 415 and poured too cool it would get air pockets and/or sinkholes. I always poured just when it started to get cloudy, and got smooth silky tops.

When I pour one with a wick I'll report back.

geek

Jhepp, you are pouring waaaayyy too cool for this wax. Geek has it right with ~150.

I really like the new 444. I have found that it's easy to work with and produces a great candle with few wet spots and frosting issues.

You just have to remember to pour much hotter than with the 415. :)

Thanks Crowded House.... Im gonna try pouring another batch later tonight.

So I should pour at 150 minimum hmmmm..... Ok I will give it a shot. I also repoured the sinkholes but at 110 and still got a sink hole on the repour. So maybe this wax does need to go in the jar hotter.

Do you guys heat your jars??

Thanks

John

GEEZ I just noticed I misspelled pour in my earlier posts. Oh well they say the mind is the first thing to go:cry2:

I don't heat the jars.

I don't know about 150 minimum, but I've had a decent amount of success with pouring around 145-150 degrees. Admittedly, I do get a small sinkhole near the wick often but a few seconds with the heat gun cures it and leaves a smooth top as well.

But it still beats the pants off 415 as far as frosting and wet spots. ;)

I just went out to my local Wally World (walmart) and had a field day shopping. Boy it really is one stop shopping there for literaly everything.

I got a Presto Kettle which I really wanted to melt with. I found lollypop sticks for dropping in my dyes and most importantly a Heat Gun! This is the best thing since bread and butter all for only a little over 20 dollars. They even have an electronic kitchen scale for less than 30.00 dollars that actually works.

I heated the tops of the candles and no more craters. I did have to pop a few air bubbles it created. I will pour it hotter on my next try .This Gb 464 has a beautiful finish to the tops!

Thanks for all your help guys:yay:

John you mentioned misspelling earlier. Heck, I misspell at least something, or don't like part of what I have written on nearly every one of my posts. I think I've used the edit feature on about 90% of them. :grin2:

Glad that you have found what you needed. I'll be testing some golden brands soy in the next day or so (464) and would also like to thank those who have responded to this thread.

I hope the 464 tops will be smooth like your 444. Have fun.