Soap Cakes.

LaVida

What type pans does everyone that makes soap cakes use.... I've seen silicone cake pans (non Bundt - they have a bunch of silicone bundt cake pans everywhere).... I just can't seem to find a full size circular cake pan w/out the hole in the middle. Does anyone have an idea where I could find one?

Question 2.. I bought 2 steel baking pans (cake layering pans). Can I use these for the mold just by lining with a heavy plastic first?

I think a bundt pan would be nice for that because they have those humps where you can always cut in between and use as a guide. if you do a search for bakery supplies you'll probably find lots of pans and other neat stuff to make soap cakes. Back to that bundt pan, I am not sure how well those pans work for whipped soap because I haven't tried it, yet. Ebay might have bakers supplies as well. I know hobby lobby has pans but they are all aluminum:sad2:

while experimenting I always go to thrift shops. When it gets serious I invest in the new stuff...LOL

I also use whatever is handy and takes the least amount of material to experiment. Try the pans you have and go from there.

I use one of my gallon soap buckets that my palm/pko come in - I've got one that had pretty straight sides - I just cut it down so it's shorter. Basically the soap in a bucket technique - just mix it up, let it sit, and decorate.. Simple :)

I've read it's hard to cut, is this true? I bet those miniature pans would work as well.

I don't find it that hard to cut - I only do a small batch so it's 1.5" deep. I find it's easier if I don't do the "in the bucket" and use some kind of lining - then it lifts right out. But if I'm lazy, I'll do in the bucket without lining, it seems to shrink enough to come out.

• 3 weeks later...