Smoking Soy Clamshell Tarts

Ok - now I have read that other people have had this problem - but really didn't seem to get a good answer to why. I am using a 100% Soy votive wax with a 6.5% FO load in the 6 cavity clamshell container (1x1x1 per piece). So what I did was take one piece and place it in the tart burner. After about 20-30 minutes I saw smoke coming from the wax. Kind of scared me a little. So I tried a different tart burner same thing - then I put in 2 pieces of the clamshells and no smoke. So then I realized that one piece probably doesn't have enough wax - which is making the wax to hot (doesn't meet the 1/2" of wax criteria). Each piece of a clamshell is about .5 oz - the other companies tarts are .8 oz. What I am going to do is pour out some wax from the other company and make it so there is .5 oz in the tart burner. Then burn it and see what happens.

Has anyone else only used 1 piece of a clamshell without a problem. I am thinking that I would have to put into the directions and warnings to use 2 pieces.

Anyone who has had some of the same experiences I would like to know what you did.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah I guess I kinda answered my own question - but I guess I was just wondering if people put on their warnings or directions for use that they should use 2 pieces at one time. I find it weird that the packaging is made so that one piece is to little.

I guess I just need some reassurance. Thanks - I will put that on my warning.

When you put on your warning label to use a min. of 2 pieces, tell the customer why or they may think you just want them to use more product.

WARNING!!! Place 2 pieces of wax melts in burner. Using less than 2 pieces can cause smoking and possible fire.

I have not noticed this. I had someone use 1 piece and said it scented as well as a .08 and didnt mention any smoke and I know if it did she would of said something, shes a heavy candle user and has been selling candles 20 years. I guess it happens but it dont seem to be a soy issue but a wax amount issue. I actually had ganz tarts spit when heated.

When you put on your warning label to use a min. of 2 pieces, tell the customer why or they may think you just want them to use more product.

WARNING!!! Place 2 pieces of wax melts in burner. Using less than 2 pieces can cause smoking and possible fire.

Thanks candle man thats perfect - hows this...

Caution:Failure to follow instructions could result in fire hazard, injury or smoke damage. Place 2 pieces of wax melts in well ventilated, tart approved burner. Using less than 2 pieces can cause smoking and possible fire. Do not add water. Never heat on stove or any non-certified tart appliance. Do not allow flame to touch underside of melt pot. Do not heat if pot contains less than 1/2" of wax. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Never leave a burning melt and/or candle unattended.

Good thing you have a large area to put your warnings. Yankee's tarts are .8 oz. so I don't think the tart is the issue. I'm sure it is your tart warmer or t-lite. T-lite burns too hot or not enough space between top of t-lite flame and bottom of wax pot. I had such a cute red, white & blue t-lite warmer but it was too short and the wax got so hot, I had to toss it. Check the flame when it's burning to see how close it is to the underneath.

Hmmm...

Hopefully it's just scary and not dangerous, because I doubt that warning label helps you much in terms of liability. It probably makes your case worse by acknowledging your belief that the product breaks up into pieces that are too small to use safely, and for no good reason. If you have to use 2 pieces, then what's one piece for?

Your only excuse would be that the particular clamshell packaging you used, while not specifically designed to make safe tarts, is convenient and easily obtainable.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

thats pretty funny - I think I need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

I did a couple of more tests last night with a single melt - there was some smoking but very little - I let it burn for a while then blew out the tea light and then took the temp of the wax (190 degrees). This seems like it would be ok - since I compared it to a yankee tart burning for the same amount of time and the same wax temp. So could that smoke or steam just be fo realeasing?

I have checked a lot of other websites that sell these and everyone says use one or two.

Now I could also say the the reason for the single pieces is so that you can combine scents 1 of one scent and 1 of another.