Help! My tarts have issues and need help!

Hi folks,

I had some leftover soy wax of an unknown brand that I bought off of ebay along with other candle makng stuff for beginers(thats me) so I decided to

make some tarts since it came with a tart mold. I melted 1lb of wax to 170 and add FO at 160 and poured at 115. I used Pam cooking spray to coat the mold. This was last night. Today I go to pop them out and they wont come out. I took a knife to one to get it out and its soft and oily feeling. Did I use the wrong wax ( container) since thats all I had and I dont really have any instructions for tarts. Perhaps I didnt let them set up long enough(12 hours)

I have since ordered good wax from a reputable company and its on the way.

I would just like to know if theres a different wax for tarts , I know there

is for votives. I wasnt planning on making these yet but once you get the

candle bug its all over! Besides im having fun even with my mistakes.

Any advise would be appreciated. They do smell great though!

Thanks you.

John

Yeppers, you used the wrong wax. Container wax is too soft so you need to use a pillar/votive wax that will set up hard enough for tarts or you can add stearic to your container wax to harden it up. KY has a great pillar/votive wax.

Edited to add: stick them in the fridge for a bit and they should pop out for you.

Yep... wrong wax. If you use a votive/pillar wax, you shouldn't even need to spray the tart molds. Also, when pouring tarts, you don't have to pour that cool. Container wax requires a cooler pouring temp but not tarts.

On the rare occasion when a few stick, I just stick 'em in the freezer for 3 or 4 minutes and they literally fall right out of the molds.

Tarts are fun to make... enjoy! :D

I make tarts for my own personal use with leftover 100% soy container wax. I just pop them in the freezer for a bit and they come right out of the molds. For tarts that I sell, I use soy votive/pillar wax or soy container wax with some beeswax added. 100% soy container wax tarts are too soft and smear on my packaging.