FYI on Cittric acid

ruba

Hey guys and gals.

I have seen so many posts about people finding citric acid in pharmacies...well I live near Reno and I still haven't been able to find any.:cry2::mad:

Well today I did some research and found out that homebrewers (those who brew their own wine and beer) use this and you may want to check and see if you have a store or supplier in your area. The one that is here in Reno charges $3.50/# and for me I would pick it up...so NO shipping YEAH!!:yay:

Just thought this might help some of you who can't find it locally or hate to pay shipping.

Hugs,

Rachel

Hey guys and gals.

I have seen so many posts about people finding citric acid in pharmacies...well I live near Reno and I still haven't been able to find any.:cry2::mad:

Well today I did some research and found out that homebrewers (those who brew their own wine and beer) use this and you may want to check and see if you have a store or supplier in your area. The one that is here in Reno charges $3.50/# and for me I would pick it up...so NO shipping YEAH!!:yay:

Just thought this might help some of you who can't find it locally or hate to pay shipping.

Hugs,

Rachel

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

*getdown* :bliss::bow::yay: :highfive: OMMIGOODNESS!! Thank you for that info. I was here SPECIFICALLY to write a post and ask where does one even start to look for this stuff if you are trying to avoid shipping costs!!! Then I got sucked into posts and well....yanno. Lol. But it was all for a reason after all! Thank you so much for sharing! My father in law home brews and I know of a few places in the next town from which we buy supplies for him as gifts. Awesome! I'm so happy! (hope they have it, lol) - Laura

I found mine at a chemical supply house, I looked under chemicals in the yellow pages and started calling...1st one I called had it and it was only 20 minutes from my house, now they only sold 50lb bags but at 1.25lb I was tickled---NO SHIPPING!!!!!.

So check your yellow pages in your area and start calling you can save a ton!

Angiestaff

Ok so I called a few brewery supply houses. Seems beer makers don't normally need to use this much as they typically sell it in 2oz pkgs. for 1.69 They offered to batch me up something bigger... and quoted me $12 for a pound.

The other sold theirs in 2,(2oz pkg slightly more then the first place I called) 4 or 16 oz sizes and quoted me just under $9 for the pound pkg. I guess this is 'ok'... but don't I see it online for $3.35lb? How frustrating. In order to avoid shipping costs you have to pay more anyways!

But I'm stubborn, lol.... so tell me, lmao- those of you who have found it at pharmacies- are we talking grocery store pharmacies, ma and pa type, Tiffany's??? And what exactly is it used for/where would it be located? If Grandma went in to buy some what would her ailment be? Lol.

I'm also going to do as another poster suggested and look in chemicals. Not gonna buy 50lbs, lol, but it's worth a shot.

blazerina- I a sorry to hear about those prices. Here is a link to another co. that someone else posted for another product...but I sw that they had the citric acid. The Shippng is included and there is a $4.95 Handling charge no matter how big the order is... obviously beeter when you order lots of stuff. HTH and again, I am sorry to hear about those price.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=32&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=4272

I found my first bottle of it at the pharmacy up the street. I paid almost $10 for the 4oz container. My second bottles came from a health food store in Ohio - 40 min drive each way and paid $3.99 for each 4oz container. THEN - I got to thinking about the bottle and looked at the manufactuer. (Now Foods) I went to their website (www.nowfoods.com) and looked for a dealer located near me. Turns out you can order it in bigger bunches. Either the stores can order them in for you, or you can have it delivered straight to you. Turns out they also have Shea Butter in 5lb pails, and of course most of the oils, etc. Check 'em out and see what you think.

I'd agree check locally for a chemical supplier. I'm in MD & use Tilley Chemical @ $1.05 lb. I made many phone calls when I started looking (I was originally looking for Oils, which I still haven't found) Normally I buy 150#-200# at a time, and I also get my Baking Soda & Epsom Salts from them too at a good price ($.35 lb). I have no idea about their shipping, as I either pickup or have them deliver.

Free shipping? Hmm. Very kewl! I will look around and see what else I want, lol. But i'm kind of in a daze right now- how can this be? :confused: I'm afraid I will wake up from a dream and realize it all REALLY WAS too good to be true, lol. :tiptoe:

Ok ok, sheesh I sound like such a drama queen, lol. Which i'm absolutely not btw, lol. Really, I promise. But I'm sure you all can remember back to when you were doing your research just getting started and everything looked so overwhelming.

So yes, a huuuuge unending thank you to Ruba for the link and everyone else for their info. I will put this in my favorites, go look around for now and tomorrow get on the phone to my local Trader Joes and Oasis health food stores. But I can't imagine they'd be any cheaper than that site. Even with the handling charge.

A shopping I go!:thumbsup: