Odd request..

CrystalClear

So, I had a "customer" (and I use that loosely cuz I think it's a competitor trying to get info and stuff)...ask me what ingredients are in my auto aromas because her grand-daughter has allergies.

I responded that the auto aromas have fragrance oils in it. She responded back and wanted to know the exact ingredients. Umm...do we know what's in the fragrance oils? I looked at BCN at their MSDS report and it doesn't specify what's in the oil. Isn't this a "trademarked secret" or whatever? I'm not sure what to tell this "customer".

Any thoughts?

It's a huge thing for fragrance companies - secrecy that is. We don't tell any of our customers what the ingredients are, even the big boys. What we will do is certify that they meet all the legal and customer requirements, and that certain ingredients are not used.

If you blend your own, and if you want to be cooperative, I suggest you ask her for a list of what the person is allergic to and then you can check. Otherwise yup - trade secret.

Crystal, you've brought up a good question. So...if your customer tells you what she is allergic to, would you then forward that list to your FO supplier? Because unless you blend your own EOs, you still wouldn't know if those allergies are part of your FO.

I just wouldn't fool with a customer like that. I would let her know that because of the allergies, perhaps it would be better "not to take any chances," with your products and maybe other companies could be more helpful in providing more information. In fact, I have done something similar and it was the right thing for me.

I just wouldn't fool with a customer like that. I would let her know that because of the allergies, perhaps it would be better "not to take any chances," with your products and maybe other companies could be more helpful in providing more information. In fact, I have done something similar and it was the right thing for me.

Umm..I didn't fool with the customer. I flat out told her I didn't know what was in the oils cuz I don't make them and the company I get them from won't disclose what is in them. She hasn't responded since I e-mailed her that..so I'm assuming she's not buying any! haha :P

Concur 100%

I am allergic to a lot and ya know what...I use discretion. Either she's a moron or she's playing you. If the kid has allergies...fragrance of any kind is not advisable, especially if she feels that she has to voice such a concern about it. Gimme a break.