Dog Soap Question

Grumpy Girl

Okay, so after moving back home, I also re-inherited a little Yorkie. I gave her to my parents almost 5 years ago, the last puppy in the last litter my male and female yorkies had. The Pig (Yeah, really) has really dry, dry itchy skin, but her fur gets oily really easily so I need to formulate a soap that isn't drying, stops the flaking and keeps her coat silky but not oily. Is it possible to come up with this combo? None of the OTC medicated/nonmedicated shampoo's ever help her, not even the ones from the vet. I'd like to scent this as well, but not use any EO's... she's a girlie girl so I do want to keep scent in the soap if possible. Any suggestions on oils to use to formulate this soap for her?

We've tried that but she's so damn picky even giving her no other food choice she'd rather starve, then my dad starts sneaking her food, and she sits on his lap and gloats. It's a vicious cycle. I've decided that the skin issue is just hereditary since her daddy had the same problem.

Can't help you on the shampoo but you might want to consider changing her diet too. My big mutt had horrible skin problems until we changed his food. Now he's gorgeous. But fat... lol!

ditto. veterinarians say that bad skin and hair comes from a diet that doesnt agree with the dog.

I know what your saying Sharon... our vet put our dog on a food that's rich in Omega-3 for dry scratchy skin (which I'm not sure if its helping).

I want something that will go along with helping the cause. It may start internally but I'm on the quest to look for something externally (soap) that won't acerbate the dry skin problem. I did try contacting someone on the board, and got no response....~ that's OK as I found a pro that's helping me come up w/ the right EOs to use.

I did ask on another board about EOs and someone brought up a fact/opinion (not sure which) that Olive Oil clogs animals' skin :undecided so I need to check into that! I know we're differing as you want FOs and I'm looking for EOs but BOY is there a lot to consider... good thing these dogs are so cute :smiley2: !