Label Simplification?

pamperme

I am going to have a 'lotion bar' type area in my shop for about 8 products I carry (I am going to carry 27 b&b products and 5 types of candle products) and I need a simple way to do labels so i don't have to have a ton pre-printed in different scents AND productsetc.

1. the customer will be given a sheet with choices to circle on it..and it also includes the ingredients for each product on the lotion bar..I would like to just have the bottles with my logo/product type and a space to write the scent..Do you think I still need to have the ingredients on the actual label of the products from the bar area? or will the fact I am giving them a sheet with it on it be sufficient? :undecided

or should I just put all the possible types of dye on the label saying may contain...Red #40 etc.. and have each product type pre-printed and leave a space for the scent.

2. the lables are from elements bath & body..they are waterproof for ink jet printers. If I hand write the name of the scent on it do you think it will still be waterproof. I use gel pens usually :undecided

I have to simplify my labeling somehow and my brain is on overload at this point..figuring everything else out.

I use 3 labels on my jar candles..that is nuts..I figured using peaks labels that are customized will help with cutting down to 2..

3.ALSO..those who get their jar labels printed for candles..where do you get them done?..i just want my logo with my website addy on it...or maybe just my logo...my logo is square

Good questions! I ran into a similar situation for my "custom" lotions, where the customer can pick scent (or unscented) and color (or no color). I did some reading and ended up putting at the end of ingredients on label- May Contain: Fragrance, FD&C Red... etc. etc., and listed all my colorants. I'm thinking about adding Mica also as I'm going to give an option for a "shimmer" lotion. I read somewhere that this is allowed if it's under a certain % of the total ingredients, but unfortunately I can't remember where and can't find the link.

As far as scent goes- I use fine point colored permament sharpies to write the scent on the label. Works great for me!! :D

The labels need to have the ingredients on them........what if it's given as a gift?? IMHO there is no shortcut for safety when it comes to listing ingredients, especially if someone is allergic and has a reaction!! :cool2:

The labels need to have the ingredients on them........what if it's given as a gift?? IMHO there is no shortcut for safety when it comes to listing ingredients, especially if someone is allergic and has a reaction!! :cool2:

Good point..I think I am going with listing everything with the may contain..part.. Then just make up a sheet at a time of each product.

DUH! forgot Sharpie makes a very fine point now. Guess I need to make a trip to office max.

• 1 month later...

where do you get all that info for the labels...new at this..I have the labels...just dont know how to begin even putting the info on the label...say for instance...I made body spritz...and soap...how do you list the ingredients? I know it sounds like a stupid ?...but hey...I said I'm new at this...so stupid doesn't count...to me it's only stupid if u don't ask and do it wrong...any help out there...need it badly....tks a bunch...

have a blessed day

where do you get all that info for the labels...new at this..I have the labels...just dont know how to begin even putting the info on the label...say for instance...I made body spritz...and soap...how do you list the ingredients? I know it sounds like a stupid ?...but hey...I said I'm new at this...so stupid doesn't count...to me it's only stupid if u don't ask and do it wrong...any help out there...need it badly....tks a bunch...

have a blessed day

Here's the labeling guide.

Generally, you need the net weight of the product (what's in it, not the weight of the jar).

Name of the product.

Ingredients from most to least.

Applicable warnings, ie - not for use on children, test in an inconspicous area.

Directions.

Name and address of the manufacturer. (you)

If you don't get your products lab tested for safety, add "WARNING - THE SAFETY OF THIS PRODUCT HAS NOT BEEN DETERMINED."

I have bought several different cosmetic lines that did not have the ingredients on the labels. Some did not have the directions, either. When I was using the Diane Young line, my products came with a card enclosed listing ingredients, etc., for all of the products. It was usually on card stock. I think the Le Mirador line did this, too.

Yes, I buy all the "anti-aging" lines from QVC!

Luci, just because someone else breaks the rules doesn't make it ok. I make the choice in my business to follow the laws, rules, and regulations that are there to protect me and the end client. And furthermore, it sure makes it a PITA to try to dupe a manufectured product when you don't have the ingredients! LOL! But really, what they are doing is not correct in any way, shape or form.. Unless it's samples or smaller than 1/8 oz I believe.

Gagal.. Grab a bottle of shampoo, and go through the checklist from above. It'll make you familiar with what you need. The FDA police shouldn't come and chase you down, but knowing you did what's right is part of pride in what you do.

I lable ALL my products and would whether it was required or not. I want my customers to know what is in my products and how to use them for not only liabilty sake but for those with allergies. Labels also make it possible for the customer to be able to compare your product with commercial products. When selling and making soap, it is a great selling point for customers to be able to see a list of all those yummy oils and butters we put in our soaps. :wink2: