direct heat melter

I've never tried a direct heat wax melter (~convection oven) and wondered if anyone had feedback on it... any safety issues? (e.g., more likely to ignite?) Is it really a lot faster than melting tanks that use water (double-boilers)?

I'm looking for something that's easily transportable so I can bring it to friends' houses to make candles.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Julie

That should be no problem at all. Yes you do have to use a thermometer and keep it under the dialed temp because it will heat up fast. Just to give you an idea I use a turkey deep fryer with the spiggot on it that is as direct as you can get to heat. No problems or fires. You just cannot leave hot wax unattended with any warming method.

We've used our Daizey pot for years and never had any problem at all. I have 2 of the Daizey and 2 of the Presto. I prefer the Daizey because of the control unit. I've added spigots to 2 of them, and will eventually add them to the others also.

Buy a good candy making thermometer & melt to your heart's content.

Fredron

I've never tried a direct heat wax melter (~convection oven) and wondered if anyone had feedback on it... any safety issues? (e.g., more likely to ignite?) Is it really a lot faster than melting tanks that use water (double-boilers)?
I've heard the Cougar convection melters are good but I've never laid eyes on one. Wenesco convection melters, like C&S carries, look like the components are salvaged from a junkyard and bolted together by Dr. Frankenstein. That's as far as I got, because I didn't want to pay the restocking fee to test them before returning them. So I can't personally say they don't work well, but the only other comment I found here on the message board is negative.

Cougar's are good I have one it is 2 years old and works wonderfully I like much better than my 200 lb water jacket melter. I like it has a digital themometer/heat control built right in you set it and it brings the wax up to that temp and will hold it there.

I've heard the Cougar convection melters are good but I've never laid eyes on one. Wenesco convection melters, like C&S carries, look like the components are salvaged from a junkyard and bolted together by Dr. Frankenstein. That's as far as I got, because I didn't want to pay the restocking fee to test them before returning them. So I can't personally say they don't work well, but the only other comment I found here on the message board is negative.

I have a Wenesco convection melters, It is an older model than they carry now. I've had it now for 4 years, it holds 100#'s of wax and will melt a full pot in about 6 hours. Now I turn it on low and leave it on 24/7 with no problems, wax is ready when I am.