Wicks for votives

I have searched throught the threads for the answer to this question, and found everything but. I try not to ask too many questions, but I'm at a standstill w/ testing my votives. I am currently using the 44-24-18z's in my 2 oz. votives, and am not getting all the way across with them. Does anyone have any wick suggestions for 2 oz. votives with 1 oz. fo/lb. TIA!

I'm using the soy pillar blend and using a flower pot votive holder..Thanks, Scented!

A flower pot holder is to big for a standard 2oz votive. You need to find a tighter fitting votive holder, try dollar stores or Wal-Mart. I'm sure you will have better burn results in a smaller/tighter holder and that wick should work then.

But if not...As far as a votive wick you could try a 34-40Z. You can find them at BCS http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/wicks.htm

Being your wax is a soy pillar blend you may want to try a cotton core wick like an HTP, LX etc.

BTW - When you change something only change one thing at a time then test. Like if you use a tigher fitting holder don't change wick until you test that holder. Then you would know if you need to try a different wick or not.

Good Luck

When we test votives.... we know to test in tight fitting holder but for all people who never read the labels....if they put them in some odd fitting container and get a lousy burn then doesn't that make us look bad?? What's the best way to help prevent this?? I sold votives to a couple of young guys at work...next morning they complain that candle didn't burn very long...come to find out they had burned it on a saucer instead of in a votive cup. No...it didn't burn very long. duh! Ginger

yeah, that's why I try to test in odd/unusual containers of all shapes and sizes. But from what I'm hearing, If I wick up, then it will burn too hot. I did burn in a "tight fitting" container today, and it burned properly. So, what do we do? I know as a consumer, I buy whatever I think is cute and what I'd like to put a votive in, as I am sure my customers will too. I dunno....this is why I put off making votives for sooooo long.1087.gif

Ginger , I had the same problem as you - person burned the votive on a plate instead of in a container, let alone a tight fitting container. However you can't wick your votives to suit such people, otherwise it would be over-wicked for someone who did do it the right way.

Since I don't have a store and just sell mostly to individuals I know, I usually print out a sheet that has burning instructions and different candle related suggestions on it. So many people don't know to burn 1 hour for each inch and wonder why their candles tunnel. They don't read warning labels on the bottom of candle/container but if it's on a BIG paper they are amazed at what they learn. And with young boys, I'm not sure they read anything so I also talk to them and hope they remember when they get home. Ginger

When we test votives.... we know to test in tight fitting holder but for all people who never read the labels....if they put them in some odd fitting container and get a lousy burn then doesn't that make us look bad?? What's the best way to help prevent this?? I sold votives to a couple of young guys at work...next morning they complain that candle didn't burn very long...come to find out they had burned it on a saucer instead of in a votive cup. No...it didn't burn very long. duh! Ginger

My mother-in-law did the same thing....burned it in a saucer and then complained that it spread out all over and went out too soon! :shocked2:

I had to explain to her that that was why I had given her a VOTIVE HOLDER with it.....

I used to put votives on anything myself (before my candle making days....), sometimes they would burn like a pillar and sometimes they would go all over the place.....but at least I could figure out myself that that brand of votive needed to be in a regular holder. Some days it doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to sell candles....kind of scary what people do with them...:undecided