Bubbles in my rustics (pic)

What on Earth is this? They weren't like that straight from the mold, they've developed over the past couple of weeks....??? IGI 1274 with a bit of UA. They were poured between 145-150... Any ideas? I forgot my aluminum hat.

IMG_1524.jpg

It isn't fingernailing. It's air bubbles. Poke 'em with a pin, lightly run your heat gun over them, rub it with your thumb and they should go away. You might have to do it a couple of times. Try pouring a little hotter the next time you make 'em. And generally heat and humidity will trigger the air bubbles.

That is the first time I've heard of wetspots developing on a pillar !

:smiley2:

Thats not fingernailing - those are more inside of the candle like this:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4295

What you have almost looks there is air developing in between the rustic finish and the rest of the candle. When you press on one does it "give" at all ? Maybe from moisture or some sort of offgassing from the candle ?

Sorry - I have no idea either.

Thats not fingernailing - those are more inside of the candle like this:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4295

What you have almost looks there is air developing in between the rustic finish and the rest of the candle. When you press on one does it "give" at all ? Maybe from moisture or some sort of offgassing from the candle ?

Sorry - I have no idea either.

Weird that they would appear later. Good fingernailing sample Henry. It almost looks as if there as white discs suspended in the wax when it happens. Check out the one on the left, only time it ever happened to me.

fingernail2.jpg

Its never happened to me since either - not that I make much paraffin pillars (though I sure have lately). I don't use that wax anymore either. Maybe a bad batch or the planets weren't aligned correctly or something ...

:)

I'm pretty sure they're air bubbles. I can push on them and some of them give. You can see the bumps and feel them when you run your finger across them. I don't like them, they remind me of pimples! Or blisters, as Top said. I got some IGI 4625 pillar wax in, so I'm going to see if that happens to them too. I put the UA in because I read somewhere it ups the FO load in the 1274, so I probably won't use it for this other wax.

I have a bit of 1274 left, so I'll try it without the UA to see what happens...

Thanks for the replies!