max amt of EO to use in body spray...

I'm just curious what you think is the max amount of EO that is safe to use in a body spray. Also the safest amt that can used on small children and babies. I have no intention of marketing anything, so I won't be testing - but I have a friend who is and if I figured it right, she's using about 12% EO (3 tsps to about 8-9 oz - equal amts of tee tree, lav. and orange) - seems like a LOT to me.

Not sure about you question, haven't started testing yet. However, the only EO"s safe for babies are Chamomile and Lavander.

ETD

Ok, just went and checked one of my books. It says Eo's for pregnant woman and young children should be half the usual adult dose, babies use 1/4 the normal adult dose. EO's that are ok for young children are

Chamomlie

Citruses (make sure they are properly diluted, citruses can burn young skin)

Frankincense

Geranium

Jasmine

Lavender (but not stoechas lavander)

Neroli

Rose

Sandalwood

Spearmint

Ylang ylang

I would really reccomend getting an EO/aromatherapy book (or 3) if you are going to be working w/ EO's. There is a whole big list of stuff thats not safe for pregnant woman (depending on the trimester) childrent etc. Also, you want to be careful of citruses because some can cause photosensitivty (sp?)

Ok, that list was from Aromatherapy for Dummies by Kathi Keville, laugh if you want but its a very informative book. According to The Aromatherapy Companion by Victoria H. Edwards, baby safe EO's are

Bois de rose

Chamomile

Dill

Eucalyptus

Fennel

Lavander

Mandarin

Neroli

Peppermint

Rose

Personally, I wouldnt do peppermint its very easy to put too much and burn skin, expecally if it's sensitive, but thats just MHO

Hey, I'm a proud owner of several "for Dummies" books myself lol

I do plan on getting some EO books. I don't really use them much - all I've used in product so far is Lavender (bulgaria) EO, and at or below recommended dosages. But I really do want to learn a lot more about them :D When I've used TTO for my son, I've used it VERY diluted - maybe 6-10 drops at most in 10 oz. I tried telling my friend that she needs to use less for babies (I had read 1%, 2-3% for adults) but she's all about the scent :angry2: Kind of makes me mad that she's that careless in her research and 'testing'.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go search amazon for some used EO books ;)

Wow.. Eo's are not "all about the scent" as that can oh so totally hurt someone. I mean, there are a few oils that can be used neat (directly on the skin) but eo's are generally not for smell, they are for function, with smell being secondary. (IMO)

ITA. But she's a bit bullheaded and will not listen to a word I say....I don't think she grasps the idea of how powerful some EO's can be. Her idea seems to be that they are natural fragrance oils with some cool healing/soothing/etc properties...I'm working on her though.

Anyone know of any sources on the web I can direct her to?

From what I've read, 3 tsp is about 1/2 oz of EO - of course that would vary by EO, but its an estimate.

So that sounds about right....if she were making something for adults. Her product is for babies though...and not just for babies, but the diaper area (its going to be a rash soother type of thing). I asked about body sprays to begin with because I figured it was pretty close and I wouldn't have to explain much LOL

Sheesh! That's a TON of EO. I make 3 products that have EOs in them, for babies, and I would NEVER use that much in them. My baby massage oil only has 1 mL chamomile EO per 4 oz of oil. That newborn skin is just too delicate. I cannot believe she's using that much, yikes!