Someone gave me a box of candles...

Hi everyone...

My boyfriend's mom gave me a box of candles from her church...the kinds they use during the service or weddings. They're just plain white or ivory wax pillars, no scent, no nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do with them? Can i melt them down and make something with them? Tarts or ??

Thanks!!

I would do one of two things:

1. Put them away for when the power goes out or for some other emergency.

2. Use them for these: http://www.ehow.com/how_5912_make-ice-candles.html

I assume these aren't the nice big ones they use around the alter of a catholic church - those are really nice candles and are required to have a good percentage of beeswax in them. :)

yessiree you can melt them down. In my house, wax is like gold.

I too seem to have a perpetual box of candles, since I'm such a candle nut people keep giving me candles. Only, they dont seem to quite understand that I dont do pillars..and that's what they give me....lol

I have had such fun with them that I take to buying any old pillar as long as it's a great deal..and my box seems to be getting fuller rather than emptier....lol

I have added crisco, petroleum jelly, even plain old vegetable oil to lower the melting point for my container candles. Mind you I am a strict amateur and only burn them myself.

BTW, I got a great deal on ebay yesterday, 10 lbs of soy container wax for $2.00 US. Ahh..shipping is $30 though. oh well.

Have FUN!

:D

Great ideas!! Thank you so much!

So the only way to lower the melting point of the wax is to add oil or grease? Can anyone tell me in what quantities?

Thanks!! I'd love to make scented container candles with this wax.

By the way, they are the large pillars you find in catholic church...they're probably 8"-12" tall.

By the way, they are the large pillars you find in catholic church...they're probably 8"-12" tall.

I'm not sure but I think that Catholic Church doctrine says the candles around the alter have to contain 50% beeswax.

Since they were made unscented, you might need to add some Vybar 103 to aid in scent retention when you melt them down. Go for it! I've melted down and reused lots of candles before, and made some really good ones.