Want to know what will make soap trace sooper dooper fast??

Meridith

I made a batch of soap tonight that siezed so bad and so quickly. I had only poured just a bit of the sugar and lye water mixture into the oils and butters when that bad boy traced and kind of turned rubbery. My recipe was:

15% CO

15%PO

15% PKO Flakes

15% OO

10% Mowrah

10% Mango Butter

10% cottonseed oil

5% shea

5% castor

12 oz water

5.5 oz lye

2 Tbs. sugar

1.5 oz. sodium lactate

I could not for the life of figure out why it seized before I even got 1/2 of the lye mixture in. Then, it dawned on me!! I had grabbed the e-wax instead of the PKO flakes!!!!! Guess what? E-wax accelerates trace 1,000 times!! LOL 2nd batch of mine ever that is a complete disaster and is not salvagable.

My ewax looks like beeswax pastilles and my PKO is in flakes.

Sorry to hear about that Meridith.

I think it is hilirious.

Yep that's how mine is. Both are in plastic bags on the shelf next to each other too but I will be moving them. This is called hurrying because I have a kid at the library whose cell phone died that needs a ride and another across town needing a ride as well as trying to get dinner done because another kid is starving and going to wither away at any moment. This is not a good time to decide to "quickly" make a batch of soap. LOL I just wasn't paying attention and trying to do too much at one time. Funny thing is - they are similar but don't look exactly alike - one is pellets and one is flakes but when not paying attention ...

Just know that E-wax and lye water make for a fast trace. But on a good note, the mixture will slide right off the SB and right out of the bowl. No lumps, bump or glops to stick to the equipement. ROFLMAO!!!

It seems that my soap is actually soap!! When it ceased on me, I just threw it in a bucket and left my mess. DH cleaned up my stuff for me today but did not do anything with the stuff in the bucket. Out of curiostiy, I took a piece of it and washed my hands with it. It lathered up really nicely and the lather was very creamy. :shocked2: My hands actually felt great when I rinsed them. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: Who knew?? Anyway, as fast as it traced, I'm not up for doing it again. And this batch is still esentially a waste since I won't be selling it.

OK now if everyone's e-wax is looking like other things, I suppose my off-tinted e-wax is bad?

I have e-wax from 5 different people and it's always stark white. The shape of the pieces differes from little balls to flat disks to kinda flakes, but all white-white.

Not sure what tinted would mean, but e-wax isn't a natural substance so I don't think it goes bad....

My e-was is like little wax pastilles and the PKO flakes look like soy wax. They are both white but different textures and sizes. They are different enough that a person should be able to tell the difference without a problem. A bonehead knows the difference but doesn't pay enough attention. :D

I made my batch of soap again, and guess what? Without e-wax that baby turned out. ROFLMAO!!! I'll have to post pics of the soap with e-wax and the one without and see if you guys can tell a difference. I bet you can. :P

I don't know which one will feel better, but I tell you, the soap with the e-wax actually feels really nice. :confused: I'm wondering if the e-wax didn't emulsify some of the butters into a more lotiony consistency? :undecided The soap lathers nicely too but it is just one big blob since I dumped it into an old coconut oil bucket. It was way too thick to get into any kind of mold and the consistency was like nothing I've ever seen before so I didn't want to waste my time slamming it into a mold. It will be shop soap and used to wash my hands.

I'm curious, what is Mowrah?

I bought a bunch of this when Tropical Butter announced they were going out of business. I have bought from TB beofre and used it in my soap at 10% - I liked the way they turned at that % even though its recommended for less.

This is taken from Tropical Butter's site:

MOWRAH BUTTER

(Madhuca Latifolia Seed Butter)

Obtained from the fruit of the Indian tree (Madhuca Latifolia). From its seed kernels the butter is extracted and further processed and refined to obtain a yellow/white butter, which has a mild, pleasant odor suitable for use in cosmetics and toiletries. The Butter is a soft solid at room temperature and melts immediately upon contact with the skin. Use from 3% to 100% pure (as a butter-like balm). Efficacy: Prevents drying of the skin and may hinder the development of wrinkles. Reduces degeneration of skin cells and restores skin flexibility.

Suggested Supplier Use Levels: Lotions & Creams: 3-5% Balms: 5-100% Bar Soaps: 3-6% Conditioners: 2-5%