Pier 1 having to recall candles - Bad for business.

Guest EMercier

never been in a Pier 1 store, but those look hazardous to me even without knowing there's a recall! I would instinctly stay away from something with sand in it ~ yikes. Doesn't Sand + Fire = Glass? i.e. Sand would be extremely flamable and not the best ingredient for a candle??

Too bad they're pretty cool looking! Definitely something to keep to hurricane/"forever candles" though so the sand isn't exposed .....

Sand does not catch on fire. Silica sand is used to make glass, it is heated to its melting point, well over 2000 F, but does not burn. And as for marathon burns, this should not cause a problem either. I routinely burn my pillars for the duration of a show, this can be 10-12 hours at a time. Perhaps the sand used in these candles was contaminated with foreign matter which flared up. I saw these candles at Pier 1. In person, they looked fine. Now I wish I had bought one so I could figure out the problem.

interesting...that's a look i did a couple years back!

my guess is one of more of these ...

it wasn't properly wicked

air pocket caused the flame to flare up

fragrance oil wasn't properly blended or wasn't compatable

adhesive used to adhere sand was flamable

Sand does not catch on fire. Silica sand is used to make glass, it is heated to its melting point, well over 2000 F, but does not burn. And as for marathon burns, this should not cause a problem either. I routinely burn my pillars for the duration of a show, this can be 10-12 hours at a time. Perhaps the sand used in these candles was contaminated with foreign matter which flared up. I saw these candles at Pier 1. In person, they looked fine. Now I wish I had bought one so I could figure out the problem.

ahh ~ well ... see why I stick to soap?? LOL. I still would be hesitant to buy something that looked this way even if my information wasn't "right" ~ just an instinct thing I guess. I do really like the way they look though, and would buy one if it had a tealight or votive type insert in the top.

I am not saying that if I was a large business that I would not buy things or have things manufactured overseas because I probably would since todays consumer seems to want to pay only .99 cents for just about everything, that is why the $1 store does so well, and Walmart.

But, I can say there is no way I would have my candles (if I was a candlemaker) made overseas, seems to risky and you would not have enough control over the product.

My sister gets Pier 1 candles every year from a friend of hers for Christmas, my sis hates them, they burn straight down the middle, smoke like crazy etc. The girl who gives them to her all the time loves them only because of the fragrances but if they are not burning right I don't know how she could be getting any kind of throw from them that last.