Joy Tests

Well, here is the first set of testers with a new wax, new wicks, and a new container (living dangerously). I really have no idea how these will burn so I poured them with rods so I can pull the wicks out if they happen to be horribly wrong.

They are 51-32-18 Zinc, a Hemp 1400, and a CD10. I know I should have used the same coloring, but I wanted to see what kind of red I could get with one of them. (I used those red soy-based dye chips, the pinks are the "pale pink" dye chips - not soy-based). Containers are Libbey 12.25 oz. Status jars (aka "Rocks" jars) so these are 3" diameter as opposed to my usual 2.5". Fragrance is 6% NG Carnation. (Strong cold throw IMO from such a light scent such as this).

I had three containers, one had perfect adherence after a few days, while the other two pulled pretty much away from the glass. (I didn't warm the glass, and unfortunately had to be running the air conditioning). I'd like consistent adherence, but I'm more concerned with how I can get it to burn. Tops set up very smooth (almost none of the usual "dimple"). I didn't poke any relief holes so hopefully won't have any surprises! Followed standard directions from site on pouring temps.

post-98-139458404773_thumb.jpg

I was wondering which of my current waxes would color deeper - so I made one of each of Joy and GL 70/30 with the exact formula of red.

Joy on the left, 70/30 on the right. (No difference IMO.)

post-98-139458404775_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

The soy chips are nice in that they melt really fast, but they only come in four colors. Don't know if everyone has found this or its just my batches, but the soy red, like other red chips, or things that have a red in them like say, the mahogany chips, do have a very tiny bit of residue in them, but its easy to leave that very last bit in the pour pot and just paper towel it out (which is what I do) and I don't have to worry about solvents or smells. Just my preference at the moment.

Plus the jars are straight up and down - no variance in diameter (maybe boring to some, but easier to wick)! :)

Oh, Joywax I think is mainly soy - you can read what they say about it now at http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/JW-1

Just a small update. No pics because I have to wait until I can get some decent sunny daylight with my aging digital camera (so that may mean the weekend).

I may have gotten lucky with all the wicks! I just started my third of three-hour burns and ALL the wicks are looking good. Well, except the mushrooming (soy mushrooms by nature it seems more than paraffin). The zinc and hemp are mushrooming no more than the CD.

After the first two three-hour burns I have about 1/8" to 1/16" of wax left on the sides on the Hemp and the Zinc. On the CD its the same, but where it curls, the wax is disappearing completely on that side.

The hemp and the zinc have a very symmetrical melt pool and very little dancing. (Zinc is best with this test). I wish I would have done one with RRDs but didn't have them at the time - maybe later.

No visible soot from any one of them. Again, very early - only 2 burns completed fully.

Adherence is a wash with this set - three candles, one with 100% adherence, one with almost none, one with about 50%! So, what can I say about it? :) Even though its not 100%, just the look of this wax doesn't make it seem to stick out while burning like with some other soys I've used.

Oh - forgot to add - NO SINKHOLES under the surface! Hopefully it'll stay that way - but I think I would have seen them by now.

Keep the results coming Henryk.....I used to use Joy and now am on to the 70/30 with great results. I cannot even remember why I quit using the Joy other than I have a short attention span. I use the wick-it wicks 700 series. I am just ready to turn professional after 1 and a half years of testing.

Dixie

I'd bet the CD10 will run small. I use a CD14 in that jar with my mostly soy blend. Haven't tried Joy tho.

Just an update FYI: On the fourth 3-hour burn (almost completed - 13 minutes to go) there is exactly a 3/8" meltpool with the CD10. On the opposite side of where the wick bends - there is a little more than a slight film of wax left which obviously will catch up.

Hemp 1400 has a little more hangup - maybe what you would call just a thicker film (can't really measure it).

The zinc has maybe just a hair more film than the Hemp, but the zinc is the most steady of all the flames which I really am striving for.

ALL of the wicks after three hours have mushrooms. They all tend to get them 2/3rds of the way in. I expected the zinc to be HORRID with mushrooming but it is no worse at all than the others with this wax - as a matter of fact the CD and the Hemp have those "hydra" mushrooms - dual heads while the zinc only has them on one side. The zinc and the hemp give very centered meltpools. The CD bends so it is off-center - but this does catch up furhter into the jar as I've read people say.

(I won't finish these up without pics in case anyone wants to see the result. I'm also keeping it to 3 hour burns - no power burns).

HTH

Didn't burn anything yesterday (I can only take so much fumes and I have 7 pillars and 6 containers all with different things I'm trying to sort out at the same time). I'll try to get some pics tonight late though and maybe some can chime in if I should wick up or change wicks.

Here are the containers after a 4th 3-hour burn. From left to right: CD10, Hemp 1400, and 51Z. The CD has the biggest melt pool. The other two are a bit deceiving - the melt pool is there (not as deep as the CD), but since there is a bit of hangup its more difficult to see.

So at this point if using a CD, I think the CD10 is the one to use (at least with normal/light FOs). It does flicker more than the hemp, which flickers more than the zinc.

post-98-139458405258_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the mushrooming. The zinc has no more than the other two in this wax.

Should note that hangup is already solidifying on the sides so it looks like there is more than there is, but really, its just not all that much, and if you look at the picture where they are lit, you can see that you can almost see through it.

post-98-13945840526_thumb.jpg

They are all Joy. You may just be confused because I posted two candles earlier in this thread (post #2) of one GL 70/30 and one joy - just to see how the red dye colored them.

Hot throw is choking strong - there are three candles burning however. I am going to pour another FO into one joy and one GL 70/30 and ask some people over the weekend what is stronger. For me however, cold and hot throw is not how I personally choose a wax - its only one part of it. If it has poor adhesion, is hard to wick, changes the FO to some wierd smell, doesn't set up right prior or post burn, is hard to color, etc. ALL of those are what I look at. Naturally other people have different priorities.

I'm going to let these burn down all the way and see how the hangup is. The CD I'm sure will be ok. The issue with the Hemp and the Zinc is that the next size up on each of those get much hotter according to the charts I have looked at.

Just completed 6th 3 hour burn.

CD: Has full 1/2" meltpool - and flickering. It is fully 1/2 way down the jar. Perhaps could wick one size cooler?

HEMP: Has full 1/4" meltpool - and flickering. It is close, but not fully at 1/2 point in jar.

ZINC: Has full 1/8" meltpool - rarely flickering and smallest mushroom of the three. (They all have them though at this point).

In addition, the HEMP and the ZINC are now really melting the slight hangup on the jars that was posted about 4 posts up.

I'm also a bit concerned at how hot the jars are (not REAL hot, but not warm either) with the CD and the HEMP. I may try another one of these one size down with the HEMP, but probably not the CD. I just like a more centered flame.

Great thread Henry...I'm a newbie so don't really have a lot to add but you're tests are helping me a lot as that is the same container I'm using on all my tests...different wax and wick but nice to see a pics to compare to what I'm burning, thanks!

How many total hours do you estimate those candles to burn?

silkysoycreations, I never time my candles - but just going by the number of burns I did and where the wax level is - I'm guessing - 90 hours for the zinc and maybe 70 for the hemp. I stopped burning the CD as I just didn't like the heat on the one side of the jar. As far as the times - I have no idea if this guess is on mark or way off - just going by site (level of wax now X how many hous I've already burned them). If I remember I'll post the times when they are all done.

Joy and 70/30 are both parasoys - so its not really fair to compare them to soy or soy/cottonseed blends. The paraffin is going to "improve" them by smoothing them out post burn and making them burn cooler, and making them take color easier. The adhesion also seems to be better. The waxes are just different from each other. Plus - you can pour HOT !

I can't decide right now which to use - I've got more testers to burn - included unscented ones so it may come down to just who's closer shipping wise.