Germaben II

pamperme

at what % should you add germaben II to a sugar scrub that is mostly oil/sugar? I see it on the WSP site but scrubs are not listed with suggested % amounts? :undecided

OR do I even really need it in an oil based scrub? I am just afraid of the watey fingers dippin in it.

In an oil based scrub I like liquapar optima, I'm not sure that germaben II will give you the protection you want since there is no water in a scrub product.

1% is the maximum usage rate most preservatives like LP and GII.

You definitely need a preservative in a sugar scrub. If any bacteria gets introduced to the mixture the sugar will just serve as food to help it keep growing.

You definately need a preservative in the sugar scrub. I've never had one grow any nasties until, of course, I sent some in a swap. It had 1% Liquapar Optima in it and stuff still grew. I'm kinda stumped on that one. Still working on it.

Carrie, Have you tried any phenonip to see if it will hold the nasties off? BTW the sugar scrub you sent is just wonderful. I'm liking the Tulip scent more and more. Did you say that was from SNC?

Yeah, now AH/RE. It siezes like the dickens in soap but it's worth the extra work. No swirls in that soap...LOL

I haven't tried Phenonip yet, I'll get some next time I order. I'm holding off ordering anything right now.

Thanks Bunny...I forgot about that link..think I am going to print it out.

I have used bases for so long..now I am getting into my own stuff..and it is quite scarey..but I am really getting some good vibes from some sugar scrubs..and want to put them out there for sale..but not until that preservative is in it.:undecided