Can you make salt bars.......

idacandlelady

I am absolutely NO expert in salt soap, actually I've only made ONE batch. So I don't know what I'm talking about.

But if you're like me & just making your 1st batch I'd suggest starting with Coconut Oil, at least 40%. From what I understand salt bars don't like to bubble & coconut oil does the best job of trying to get bubbles for you. I added some castor oil but don't know if that made a big difference, since I've NEVER made a salt bar before. (lol)

For the soft oils I kept it simple olive oil, a little macadamia nut oil. Why you ask I don't know it sounded fun. :D

So really as for oils & stuff use what you like but because it's your 1st try use a LOT of coconut. Personally I did not find the coconut irritating like it can be in a normal soap at such a high amount, so try not to have to much fear of that. (I find this soap makes my skin feel soft)

As for the process well, I personally did CPOP, but was cutting them one hour after I poured. Personally I don't know if HP would really be a good way to make these, but what do I know the next post is probably going to be from grumpy girl or somebody with experience saying she does it just fine no problem.

sorry but hth's a little bit,

Karen B

You need at least 70% coconut oil for these, trust me on this. Even 100% is fine. Keep it simple. I CPOP mine for about 2 hours, turn off the oven for another hour or two then clean them up while they're hot. I made a batch yesterday in about 3 hours start to finish. I've never tried to HP them, but I'm not a HP fan right now at all. I'm sure it could be done though.

Let us know how it goes for you.

I've only read a little here and there about salt bars and would like to know exactly what are the benefits? it sounds drying to me but then I don't know a thing about them.:undecided

I'm SO glad you asked that, Hibiscus. I've been wondering the same thing about salt bars, scrubs, etc. I hope we can get an answer and get educated on the benefits/non-benefits of salt products. :wink2:

I'm SO glad you asked that, Hibiscus. I've been wondering the same thing about salt bars, scrubs, etc. I hope we can get an answer and get educated on the benefits/non-benefits of salt products. :wink2:

Well, I understand the scrubs/exfoliators. I don't use salt in mine but I'm sure they work the same as sugar. They are a lot simpler than making a bar of soap.....sooo I was wondering if the benefits are worth the time it takes to make a batch of soap...:undecided

hmmm well I have seen nice pics in the gallery as well. Hey, i just like to keep things as uncomplicated as I can and if a scrub does the same thing as a bar ( I use all the same oils) I will certainly be making the scrub:wink2: oh I have considered using some of my sea salts for the scrub they don't behave like sugar in my recipe.:D

Mine aren't really exfoliating. They start out a tad bit scratchy, but after a few passes on the skin, they turn into a granite feeling bar, very smooth. They're more like a lotiony lather, skin conditioning bar. They're hard to explain but I can't keep the damn things in stock.

Mine aren't really exfoliating. They start out a tad bit scratchy, but after a few passes on the skin, they turn into a granite feeling bar, very smooth. They're more like a lotiony lather, skin conditioning bar. They're hard to explain but I can't keep the damn things in stock.

I've had the pleasure of using a sample size bar of Grumpy's and it was marvelous! Very smooth and softening for your skin. :drool: But you wouldn't want to drop a full size bar on your toes - that's for sure. :wink2:

I like the "keep it simple" advice and when I finally try these that's what I'm going to do. I've got a big bucket of coconut oil I can make a dent in if I use 100% coconut.

note that salt soap bars are not rough and scrubby. the salt dissolves and helps create an amazing bar of soap. If you want something "scrubby" you need a different additive that won't dissolve.

Grumpy, does the addition of salt make it trace faster?

Ok, 100% coconul oil.....when to add the salt please? Actually detailed instructions would be nice,lol. I would love to make a batch. TIA!
Ditto!!! I haven't made soap before so I am looking for a good recipe before I try this. I have really dry skin and very hard water, that's why these interest me so!

I have no net access till Wednesday except for on my sk2 so I am making soap galore. Built myself some more molds, including a slabber, and I am ready to make some salt bars. How much salt ppo and when to add. Patiently waiting, hahaha. Grumpy, I will get you Chris Noth's # if you share your recipe;)

I have no net access till Wednesday except for on my sk2 so I am making soap galore. Built myself some more molds, including a slabber, and I am ready to make some salt bars. How much salt ppo and when to add. Patiently waiting, hahaha. Grumpy, I will get you Chris Noth's # if you share your recipe;)

I havent made any yet but Ive been reading all I can about it, I plan on using 100% coconut oil and from what Ive read you add salt at light trace 1 p of salt per 1 p of oil, someone please chime in if I got this wrong

How much salt ppo and when to add.

Do like you normally would with CP soap, adding FO & dye at the right time. Then at light trace start adding the salt. As for how much salt, I had a batch with 2 lbs of oils so I weight out 2 lbs of salt. I used a spoon to stir in the salt & didn't quite use the whole 2 lbs of salt just until it felt right. Salt seems to speed things up so I worked quickly to get it into the molds at that point. put it in the oven, after an hour checked on it. For me at that point it was already really hard & I knew I had to cut it then or you'd have to use a whole log as 1 bar. (for most people they cut it after 2 hours)

Now when figuring out how big of a batch this will be remember that 2 lbs of oils plus 2 lbs of salt will now make a 4 lb batch of soap. So keep in mind the addition of the salt when figuring out how much oil you'll use & what size mold to use.

I did a search for salt bar's on this board & a few others. I found loads of information in the post's. Grumpy Girl has done a lot of salt bars,and has posted a wealth of information in those post's. You should look into reading them.

Karen B

made my first batch of this today. I enjoyed making it, let it bake for an hour and cut. Smells great I used energy from BB Im not sure how I feel about the texture of it yet , I did try the end piece and to me it lathered very good but kind of felt like the lava soap my grandfather always used. It was my first cpop soap and I was surprised how easy it was.

I did try the end piece and to me it lathered very good but kind of felt like the lava soap my grandfather always used.

lol, wait a little bit then try it out in the shower when you shave. I love to shave with a salt bar it really makes my legs nice & smooth.

Karen B