EZSoy and "Brains"

I have used EZSoy for ages but have never poured any larger than an 8 oz. container candle (jelly jars and square masons). I recently purchased some enamelware cups w/lids from a co-op here and thought they would make adorable candles.

I poured one of these cups using 1 lb. of EZsoy, 1 oz. orange clove FO, and liquid rust & yellow dyes (can't tell you exact number of drops, don't have my notes with me), no other additives. My problem is this: after each burn, when the EZSoy sets back up it has HORRIBLE looking "brains." I've had frosting issues with EZSoy before (nothing a heat gun can't remedy), but I have never had this "brain" problem with my smaller containers.

The "brains" do not affect the quality of the burn at all, I'm getting a decent burn with little hang-up using two CD-14's, great hot and cold scent throw, but the candles look horrendous!!!! Does anyone have any explanations as to why this problem is occurring with a larger container and does not occur with my smaller ones?

Bev,

I have had brains, cauliflower, pizza bubbles, sweating, frosting, etc. with the EZ Soy and plain 415.

As you said it did not effect the scent throw or burn. Just looks horrible.

I found that different batches did this. I have had it happen in the summer and winter months. SO who knows... I have just figured it was the batch of soy...

I also found that the brains come out at night when your sleeping!! LOL;)

I get this more in the summer months than I do any other time. Sometimes, you can fix it with a heat gun but you won't get the tops completely. It might even take a few swipes with the heat gun to get it looking better. I have also found that when you are hitting the tops with the heat gun, it will sometimes help to poke some relief holes. I think this helps the wax to settle back into the container and not be so "puffy" looking on the top.

The strange thing about it is that I used the same batch of wax for both the large enamelware cups and some 8 oz. square masons, all poured on the same day. The masons look great, set back up with smooth-"ish" tops (I say this because I've seldom had EZSoy set back up completely smooth on top), but these darned large cups get brains every time. So weird!!! :undecided

I'll add some beeswax to the next one and see how that goes. Only this time I'll measure it out right ... the last time I added beeswax to my soy, I miscalculated and added 10%! :shocked2:

I think it happens because you have a larger surface area cooling faster than the lower part of the enamalware. I've had this happen too when I pour into something other than a glass jar. the glass provides a surface that cools at the same rate as the tops, but in the enamalware-the sides are too thick, so the tops cool off before the rest and it pushes up--forming the brains..lol

make sense? I could be wrong, but that's my thought on it--I haven't found a way around it that isn't a pain in the arse

The strange thing about it is that I used the same batch of wax for both the large enamelware cups and some 8 oz. square masons, all poured on the same day. The masons look great, set back up with smooth-"ish" tops (I say this because I've seldom had EZSoy set back up completely smooth on top), but these darned large cups get brains every time. So weird!!! :undecided

If you just don't like the look and don't mind your wax being a blend add a % of beeswax or paraffin. Just the right amount will kill the ugly tops and frosting.

If you blend paraffin in woth soy you don't have to pour at the slush stage, just pour hot, saves so much time that way.

I poured at the slushy stage. They looked great until after they were burned. It was after they set back up after a burn that they took on the "brainy" look. The more they have been burning, the better they are looking afterwards, but I mean to tell you after that first burn I thought a volcano had erupted or something. They were horrible!

I am not done experimenting yet. I really love these enamelware cups and am determined to make them work. I'm going to try the beeswax next and see if that helps. Once I get something that's not so repulsive to look at, I'll post pics!

Bev! I bet those were the hardest candles ever. Did you get horrible cracks?!

Tee hee! They were like ROCKS! Wicks kept drowning out because they were much too small after using that much BW. Math has never been my strong point!! :D