Layered Coconut (Who stole my brain? soap)

Brenda

Brenda, those are fantastic!

You will have to post the results of the coconut FO after cure time. I have had terrible results with three different coconut FO that I have tried. It hasn't held up after curing.

You can find some awesome coconut soaps in HI and I have always wondered what they used because they smell unbelievable!

Keep us posted!

Brenda, those are fantastic!

You will have to post the results of the coconut FO after cure time. I have had terrible results with three different coconut FO that I have tried. It hasn't held up after curing.

You can find some awesome coconut soaps in HI and I have always wondered what they used because they smell unbelievable!

Keep us posted!

I will let you know. I've read that about the coconut FOs, and that's one reason why I held off for so long before getting one. I'm curious too if it will stay.

Okay Brenda...I got to know....

Do you have three separate batches going at one time that are equal weight? Or, do you make one big batch and separate? OR, do you pour one layer...then go onto the next batch....pour, then go onto the next batch, and pour.

I've had some layered soap actually pull apart, but of course it was in a log mold too and the top layer was just odd...but they weren't poured that long apart from eachother.

I do three separate batches, one right after another until all the layers are complete; letting the slab mold sit out on my kitchen table uncovered between batches.

So it's a lengthy project that takes about five hours from start to finish.

Cooling time for the oils isn't nearly as long as for my single big batch, but the process is still lengthy. That's why I don't make layered soaps all the time! I love doing them, but often don't have the big chunks of time I need to complete them.

I'd like to try some layers in a log mold, but haven't got around to it yet. I generally force the finished layered batch to gel thoroughly, maybe that coupled with the thinner layers with a large surface area to bond helps it stay together?