pringles can

CareBear

OK, I just did this not too long ago and I'll have to check my notes for batch size... I wanna say it was like 1.25 - 1.5 lbs of oil.

I cleaned it out with a damp paper towel to get the crumbs out, then put a couple tea towels around it secured w/rubber bands for insulation. Poured almost to the top, but left a few inches because I read somewhere that it wants to expand in the mold and will rise up out of it looking quite phallic ;)

(yes, it did!)

I didn't bother lining it and it seemed fine... just peeled the tube away once I was ready to demold. Whatever plastic liner/film that was already in the tube puckered somewhat, but didn't seem to affect the soap.

After I poured I stuck the whole thing, towels and all, in a plastic pitcher just to make sure it stayed upright.

HTH!

A large Pringles can hold about 2lbs of oils and butters. You can cut the bottoms off and reuse it a few times too so that you can just push the soap thru once its ready. The Pringles cans work really good. I have never lined mine and let it just stand upright. I have never needed to insulate mine either. I did once and it made the biggest mess.

Yeah, I wrapped a towel around it and it kind of expanded all over the sides and about busted out of the can. Since then, I just let the can stand up right on a counter where it won't get knocked over and I've had no problems. Now, also, mind you, when I say about 2 lbs, that is an approximation. I can do a 2lb recipe and fill a Pringles can and have a little bit left over to pour in a mold or one of those smaller type Pingles can that they sell beef sticks in.

Thanks for the tip - I'll make sure not to insulate next time.

Now that you mention it, I believe I calculated my batch at 1.75lbs and since I didn't quite pour to the top I had enough left over pour about an inch up into my silicone bread mold.

Carol, Are you talking about the flexible bread pans like they sell at walmart? They are made of kind of a rubber type material? If so, you can use these - I think you just spray it with Pam and it should be O.K. I've heard they work great. Also there used to be an HP tutorial on CT, that if I am remembering correctly showed them using one of those teflon metal bread pans. I don't think they would work that well for CP but for HP, I think the teflon ones would be OK too.

I've used a Pringles can many times and have only had trouble that once. Ever since I don't insulate it, they come out perfect. You can make one too with a PVC pipe that is supposed to be very easy to make. Perhaps you can make one or get someone crafty to help you out. I just bought one from Uplands and just love it.

I tried the pringle can twice and I didn't insulate it. The last time I used one I got dips in the sides of a small portion and I don't really know if it was the can or not. I don't see any reason to use them now that I use plastic bottles and I don't insulate them either. Oil them and they slide out. I have used only the 32 oz bottles. They are reusable and there is no warping or explosions or anything. I've got some pics in the gallery of the round soaps made in those bottles. ...give it a try:D

Just to confuse you, Sara likes to use the 1lb. lye cans for round soap.

Oh good, another option. Fortunately:

1. My lye can is 2#

2. It's still full of lye (since I haven't made my first batch yet).

E - should I start with CP or HP? As in, simpler is better - but I have no patience.... Decisions decisions...

Or you could just go to Home Depot, ask them for the 2.5" or 3" PVC tubes used for pipes, and you get 12 feet of it for less than $10. Have then slice it into 1 foot sections for you, and you have 12 two pound round molds that will last for eternity. Then you can make all the round soap you want without having to worry about alien brain:DALl for less that the costs of 5 cans of Pringles that you have to actually eat to empty, not good for the hips,lol.

Hibiscus, you take bottles and just cut the top off??

Yep. and they work very well for me. I am now thinking of using my 32oz lye bottle because the plastic is even harder than the others. I also have shampoo bottles. I love making round soaps and I don't really care for potato chips all that much..LOL I am a mad recycler too...;):D