BUGS?!? ugh...

Has anyone ever found bugs on their B&B products? I've had a box of various butters and herbs in my living room for less than a week. I've got stuff out of there, looked it over..opened stuff up and never saw a bug.

Today, I was going to get the coffee butter out and the outside was covered in them - bugs that I have never seen before, let alone here in NM. They were very tiny ant looking bugs, light brown. Could they have just been baby ants? I've never seen baby ants before...and they weren't the little black ones. I looked at the floor and around where the box was, nothing - and it wasn't near a door or window either. But there was a lot in the bottom of the box. Could these have shipped with my stuff? Since they are so tiny, I'm thinking maybe they hatched since yesterday (I think I had the coffee butter out yesterday...could have been the day before and there were no bugs). They weren't inside the little tub, but boy were they trying. They didn't care about any other butters in the box...just the coffee.

What do I do with my herbs? Do I have to throw them away now? The bags aren't exactly sealed so stuff can't get in (I know this because this same shipment had leaking palm kernel oil that seeped into the herbs :mad: ).

I'm so wigged out now, its so gross. What do I do?

There are some herbs that are known for bugs breeding in them, or the eggs are in the herbs and eventually hatch. So even if you have the herbs in a sealed bag, they can still get buggy. I think (please don't quote me on this, it's early) that calendula is one that is known for getting buggy.

Just like flour, store it in the freezer in as airtight as possible freezer bag. Herbs are shipped to you, put them inside a freezer bag, get out as much air as you can, and store in your freezer. If there are eggs in the herbs, it will prevent them from hatching and kill them. In the freezer, this will also prevent bugs that are attracted to those herbs from getting to them.

I had calendula that was buggy once and I infused it with olive oil and then strained it, which also strained out any of the bugs that were in the herbs. Used the infused OO in a batch of soap for my own personal use. I would never make something with buggy herbs and sell it to anyone. But if you can get beyond the ibbie jibbies of the herbs having bugs in them, go ahead and use the herbs in infusions and soap the oil.

Well, I contacted the company. I am NOT happy about it either. :mad: I had already used those herbs to infuse olive oil (one of those 101 oz jugs) and a 16 oz bottle of Watermelon Seed oil ($20).

They're sending replacements for the herbs :rolleyes2 Yay, more bugs. :mad:

I can deal with bugs, its part of nature - it happens. But good customer service is another thing...

Haven't found bugs yet (and don't want to - they give me the heebiejeebies). BUT - my cat likes CCO. :rolleyes2 He's like a big, furry bug. I don't let him in the bucket, of coarse, but if a piece falls on the ground, he's all over it.

A few months ago I ordered some herbs when I got them I looked them over and they looked just fine. Like you a few weeks later I found some little bugs.

I literally opened every bag and went through them by hand tossing out any buggy ones and anything that looked suspicious. I found one bag that was the culprit that infected the rest of bags. Can't say as if I will order from this compnay again.

As soon as you get your herbs, put them in the freezer and keep them there when you aren't using them. Unless the supplier sent these out to you while they were growing bugs, for some of these herbs, it's not really the fault of the supplier, some herbs are just known for being bugging while growing and having the eggs on the plant, where eggs are, the bugs will soon be and the rest of your herbs will be effected.

It's an inconvenient fact of nature.

It'd happen to you too if you grew and dried your own. That's why it's necessary to protect them regardless of where you buy them from.

Ewww ick I know I would FRRRRRR EAK OUT if I opened a box and it had little bugs everywhere. I'd defanitely call the company and ask for a replacement. But please do freeze everything like stated above if that's what has kept those little critters out of my life I'm thankful for the small inconvenience. I have a small little freezer I put them in. Not sure I want them in with my food but after they have been frozen for a while I would if needed.

HTH

HUGS